Dull-Coat Problem

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
I've run across a problem using Testors Dull-Coat. I've been using it for years with no problem, but all of a sudden, once it dries, I'm getting white specs that stay even after it's dry.

I'm using an airbrush, thinning the dull-coat 60/40. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard of this problem before, but it was a spray can. It has something to do with clumping in the lacquer.

Josh,

Could it have to do with the age of the dull-coat?? Or using that new generic thinner they came out with?? It's a red can made for all of these, Testors, AZTEK, Model Master, Floquil. It's made by Testors though.

most likely it is undissolved solids, it could either be old or just incompletely mixed.

try, in this order:
1) using a different thinner, I always used regular lacquer thinner
2) let it sit a bit longer or thin it before you add it to the paint cup/bottle to give it more time to dissolve the solids
3) toss the DullCoat and buy a new bottle

I've also had this problem and it was always the age of the dullcote. Seems like it has a shelf life and exposure to air eventually leads to all the bits not dissolving properly in the mix. The first thing I'd try is a new bottle of dullcote. If you still see the problem, try spraying with dullcote cut 70/30 with straight lacquer thinner. If that works, then the generic hobby paint thinner is the suspect. For someone as experienced as you, I'm sure it goes without saying that your airbrush should be double checked to make sure it's completey clean.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try a brand new bottle and see if that is the problem. Jim, I just started having this problem in the last couple of weeks. So it could be an old stock bottle of dull-coat. The airbrush gets completely torn apart after every 10 uses, with a good cleaning in between each use. So I don't think that is it. But worth a second look.

Well tell me what you guys think. I bought 3 bottles of Testors Dull-coat today. The price on the new bottles is $2.89. The price on my old bottles is $1.25. Do you think I've had these old bottles for too long?? LOL I'll try this new stuff tonight, hopefully the white specks are gone.

OK, new bottle dull-coat, no specks at all. Add that one to the lessons learned page. Old dull-coat will make white specks!!!

If your old bottles haven't been opened, they're probably still good. But, you have to make sure you mix them good.

Opened, the air will do something to it. You may end up with undissolvable sludge. Or, it becomes thicker since some of the solvent has evaporated. You still have to mix it well if it's sat for a long time....

Kennedy

a few years ago I dropped an ancient used bottle of dull coat in the garage on a concrete floor. It shattered, but the goo held it together so tightly none of the glass shards fell away.

stout stuff.....

Well tell me what you guys think. I bought 3 bottles of Testors Dull-coat today. The price on the new bottles is $2.89. The price on my old bottles is $1.25. Do you think I've had these old bottles for too long??

Sounds like me. I noticed I had a bottle of Floquil Crystal Coat that's so old the label doesn't have a UPC code on it. Amazingly, it's still good.

Jim,

I had a backlog of items needing dull-coat (5 SD40-2 shells and 4 switchers). I used the new bottle and didn't have one white speck come out. I guess I need to pay more attention to the age of some of my painting supplies.

Jerome, me too, especially since some of the stuff I have is probably at least 10 years old. Floquil seems to last forever unopened but it starts to get to be a really problem once it's opened, even when it's sealed with Vaseline. Dullcote and Glosscote seem to be especially bad about deteriorating with age. Back when I was younger and doing some custom painting work, I'd toss both of these items every six months once they were opened or I'd start getting the same white specks or, even worse, alligatoring finish. Nothing worse than spending 20 hours doing piant and decals and then having to start all over again, especially if you were trying to make a profit. :)

I've run across a problem using Testors Dull-Coat. I've been using it for years with no problem, but all of a sudden, once it dries, I'm getting white specs that stay even after it's dry.

I'm using an airbrush, thinning the dull-coat 60/40. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If you used anything with an alcohol base these white specs will be the outcome, usually another coat of dullcoat will resolve this and the specs wil dissappear

Back