Dual-Gauge Railroad?

Brakeman Hal

This section of Peco Code 83 HO Flex Track fits snugly inside the rails of my Atlas code 148 O-Scale Flex Track, with clearance for the underside of the train.

This means I can run O-Scale 2-rail and HO on the same trackage!

Am I going to do it?

No, because an HO train riding in between the rails of an O-Scale track would look silly, like a little boy in a big man's shoes!

Brakeman Hal
001.JPG

Last edited:
I have never bothered with turnouts anyway, so that would be no obstacle.

Here is my layout: 127 feet of a single folded dogbone loop.

My switching is simple: Since I have no Sidings, Spurs, or Rip Tracks, I simply lift the loco or car off the track and replace it with another one!

Brakeman Hal
012.JPG
002.JPG

Last edited:
I have never bothered with turnouts anyway, so that would be no obstacle.

Here is my layout: 127 feet of a single folded dogbone loop.

My switching is simple: Since I have no Sidings, Spurs, or Rip Tracks, I simply lift the loco or car off the track and replace it with another one!

Brakeman Hal

Sometimes simple, and uncomplicated is the best, I’m just now figuring that out.

On30 equipment can be run on HO gauge track, if you wanted to keep your equipment and buildings(if any) O scale.

Yes, that's a thought, but I want my O-Scale Train to run on O-Scale Track. I don't want to have to duplicate my present train with a Narrow Gauger.

Brakeman Hal

Cool idea as long as there were no turnouts, or grade crossings.
If you need that, what you'd probably do is share one of the rails between the two. I'm not sure how that would work out if you needed to turn to both sides though.

The HO flanged wheels would never ride on O-Scale Track because the HO rail is .083" high and the O rail is .148" high, and it would be a headache to lay ONE HO RAIL! The train would be tipped all the time because of the 1/16" difference in rail height, and would look more stupid then ever!

Nesting the HO track inside the O track as I've shown is the only workable way to do it, Frank.

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
The HO flanged wheels would never ride on O-Scale Track because the HO rail is .083" high and the O rail is .148" high, and it would be a headache to lay ONE HO RAIL! The train would be tipped all the time because of the 1/16" difference in rail height, and would look more stupid then ever!

Nesting the HO track inside the O track as I've shown is the only workable way to do it, Frank.

Brakeman Hal

If you're going to go to the trouble of laying 1 HO rail, then you might as well go to the trouble of adding that extra height to the rail and being done with it. Which is likely what you'd do if you wanted to have a mining spur with something more appropriate to that.

Personally, I don't much get what the point of running more than one gauge on the same layout as it's going to look really weird no matter what you do.

As I've stated earlier in this thread: I'm not going to do this because it would look ridiculous!

I got rid of HO and went to O-Scale 2-Rail for good!

Brakeman Hal

This wouldn't be dual gauge it would be dual scale. Dual gauge actually happened. There were areas of the country where standard and narrow gauge shared track. Dual gauge could be done as structures, people, vehicles, and scenery would all be the same. Dual scale would look ridiculous, but has been done for displays.
Dual gauge track 1.png
Dual Gauge 2.jpg

YES - But since ours are "toys" - If you have different scales and you wish to run one or the other at different times -- IT"S YOUR RAILROAD!

Back