Drive by

Wastrel

Here is a drive by on a new section on my layout. Typically, as in this case, I lay flex track to ensure the design is a good one before adding roadbed and hand laying the permanent track. This allows me to run the trains over the new section for a month or so before making the addition permanent. This lead will ultimately wind up at the power plant which is being designed to accept unit coal in on a balloon track, and ash out on 2 service tracks. The balloon will be a 34" radius with a total run from point to point on the siding of 760". Nestled inside the balloon is the coal pit as well as the ash pit and the plant itself. I will be using the tri city power model for the main building, with a shed structure over the balloon to model the rotary dump.
The unit train in this vid is actually a half unit, coal drags will be 55 & 60 units per with 2 dedicated drags. ( oh and yes, I am running cabeese as EOT for the JMRI system. This allows a convenient place to put an LED to draw power and signify to the detectors where the end of the train is. Makes block detection and signalling much simpler than installing resistors on wheelsets.)
th_100_3847.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking engines and rolling stock, Scott. Looks like things are running good for "temporary" track.

Back