Does anyone use S Scale?

It's not listed in the scale specific section. The only times I've seen it mentioned, I think, is if someone wants to know how much it might be worth, when they've inherited some.
It has a following in Australia, because of the use of 3'6" gauge in several states. My club has an active "S" group that meets regularly. There is a glass cabinet in the library with handmade models in it of Queensland Rail equipment, both steam and diesel. Now that 12mm track has been made commercially, HO scale equipment is well established too.

I know Fast Tracks makes jigs for hand laying track and switches for it. Being from, and modeling an agricultural area, S gauge would be nice for the farm equipment, (1/64 scale). But from what I have seen, the availability of equipment, and accessories, is too limited.

I know Fast Tracks makes jigs for hand laying track and switches for it. Being from, and modeling an agricultural area, S gauge would be nice for the farm equipment, (1/64 scale). But from what I have seen, the availability of equipment, and accessories, is too limited.
If you've seen Hal's layout, you'll realize that rocks and stones are scale Generic :D

That was a great essay, Randy!

I'm sure glad I went from HO to O-Scale 2-Rail!

Unfortunately, many modelers prefer to stay with the unrealistic Lionel 3-rail system.

Two-Rail will always look more authentic, whether in Z, N, HO, S, or G-Scale!

Here's a comparison of an HO diesel inside my O-Scale 2-Rail Track:

Brakeman Hal
001.JPG

Last edited:
About the only "3" rail system that has any chance of getting close to 2 rail is Marklin's HO center stud track. The studs could be disguised some what with an oil stain down the middle. Can't say I've ever seen an example, though. Interestingly, Peco make a Marklin stud system add-on for their Streamline HO flextrack in 72" lengths, which I guess would become pretty much disguised once ballasted.
1567554911537.png

Yeah but this must sound like a car going over those cuts on a highway while running...
The pickups on the locos are long shoes that cover several studs at once, so it's no worse than having a rail. On a diesel, they are the length of the truck, on steam, the length of the drivers.

My son and I attended the Great American train show when it came to our area earlier this year and were both impressed by several S scale layouts on display. We both felt the trains had a nice heaviest to them without being as toy-like as most O scale ones we've seen. Also the scenery detail was better due to the larger size than in HO. I think if; A. having to start over from scratch, and B. Money wasn't an issue, S might be the way to go. Of course, that is never going to happen.

I'd like to get a few (but not too many) authentic-looking 1/48 O-scale figures, but as you can see, I like my layout to be sparsely populated, with NO structures, cars, trucks, houses, buildings of any kind, because I've modeled my layout to represent the raw, desolate, Desert wilderness just outside of my Town.

Hal

Back