Does anybody custom-print decals for prototype RRs?

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
I've run into a problem where I cannot accurately model a Ford assembly plant, because the only type of 60ft auto parts boxcars that they use are the ones that have plug doors on them. The model manufacturers only seem to sell plug door boxes in Western road names. So, I figured I'd simply buy a few and paint/decal them for the C&O; but it seems like Microscale only makes locomotive decals, nothing for 1970-era boxcars. I really need some large yellow C&O "Progress" logo decals.

Which leads to my question: Can the custom decal printing companies, who do private fantasy roadnames, do runs of prototype railroads as well? Or do issues of potential trademark infringement, licensing, etc., prevent them from doing so?

Ken,

Short answer is yes companies and individuals can make the decals. I can't see any legal ramifications with that as it would seem as though all (major ones at least) road names have given permission for their road names to be replicated for the purpose of the hobby.

Your best bet might be to present the decal you want made to a "custom decal maker" and get their response though. As said, the likely hood of some trademark etc infringement would be very unlikely I would think.

Greg,

Yes I did and now wish I could pass the maker of them onto you. Might need to take a look at the thread that relates to those decals.

The thing with copy rights and so forth is the rail roads have already given permission for their names and paint schemes to be reproduced for the "purpose of the model railroad hobby" already so that shouldn't be an issue unless they have specified a certain period of time with those permissions which I think is unlikely.

Also, because what you are wanting done is 45+ years old, and is no longer in existence, I would be surprised if there were any current copy rights or other things in place for them anyway. Copy Rights do have an expiration date of some kind attached to them and, unless renewed, become redundant.

I'd suggest the onus of establishing the legality of producing the decals would be upon who ever was to make them; UNLESS, they specifically asked you if there were any legal impediments upon their reproduction.

Okay, the guy I went through is named Matt from circusdecals. Google them and send him an email with you are after. I can vouch for his work, his conferring with his customers and his very quick turn around not to mention his prices.

Looks like it's a "go"! Matt replied to my email and said he could do pretty much anything I wanted, as long as I order at least the minimum 8x11 sheet.

Now I just need to acquire the cars I'm hoping to decorate...:rolleyes:

Ken,

That's good and yeah I did forget about the minimum order of at least one sheet. The good thing about that is you will have some spares if or when needed. Glad it all went well though now get the cars to put them on :)

Ken I haven't posted on here for some time but I do read the posts once in a while Anyway I have a bunch of decals for C&O and or B&O if you want them they are free one set is just like the pict you posted
The decals are from champ and herald king I did try a few just to see if still good and so far all stayed together So just let me know and will put in the mail
thanks Mike

Awesome! Just ordered 5 Con-Cor 60ft double-plug-door boxcar kits (2 of which I can leave in their existing road names) - so now I'm all set!

Ken,
I was going to purchase some decal sheets soon as im about to make some decals of my own. I would be willing to help you if you still need after you see what you get from Mike.

Tony,
Do you know if the decals you got from the seller you mentioned are ALP printed decals or just laser/ inkjet printed decals? I noticed his listings on ebay but didn't hear back on what type of decals he was making, just waterside decals.

Dave

On the subject of copyright, I would think that where you're doing them for your own use and not selling them, you would be far removed from any such issue.

Railroads are particularly interested in protecting and controlling their logos and identity. When models were made and sold without permission, their trademarks, etc., could conceivably fall into public domain. By granting permission, they retain control of their property.

Mike - no worries, that was because of the 12" of snow we got from "Winter Storm Toby" and my street hadn't been plowed yet. They should be arriving here today.

Back