Do You Model What Can't Be Seen on a Structure

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
When building the background structures for my Waupaca Industrial area and when finished their locations will be against the photograpic backdrop. Their roofs will not be seen or nor will their the backside areas of the structures. Would you finish these areas?

I know many famous modelers finish only the areas that can be seen when the model is set in place on the layout.

What is your opinion and practice in finishing unseen parts of model structures?

Thanks.

Greg

When building the background structures for my Waupaca Industrial area and when finished their locations will be against the photograpic backdrop. Their roofs will not be seen or nor will their the backside areas of the structures. Would you finish these areas?
Greg

Why would you finish them? I would do the roof, IF there is any chance it can be seen, even at an angle. But the parts of a building against the wall, or not visible? What possible benefit would there be to doing those? You have a limited time of time, energy and money, spend it wisely.

But wait, you say, I love building structures and building that would make it enjoyable. I've got an alternate suggestion for you... Take the time and effort you'd spend on that back wall and do a partial interior on the building. Maybe it's a warehouse and you have large shop door open and people can see inside. Or you make the office visible through the windows. Do something that you and your guests can see and appreciate.

I tend to finish all sides. This has proven to be the best course of action for me. On occasion I decide to re-position a structure and that wouldn't be possible if I hadn't finished all sides. My layout has also been moved and expanded which has altered the viewing angle as well. Originally the layout was in an attic storage room and could only be viewed from one side. Then it was in two spare bedrooms (with a connecting tunnel through the wall) and could be viewed from two sides in each room. I recently moved, and now the layout is in the basement and can be viewed from all sides.

I do all sides of each structure, mostly because of my OCD need to "finish" a kit. At some point I may want to do cab-ride videos, and I won't want any open-sided buildings to appear.

OTOH, I generally skip installing brake rigging and other underbody details on freight car kits, that are not readily visible when viewed from the side [unless they're involved in a wreck:p].

I'm also one that finishes the entire building. If I don't I get despondent and at the end of the day, I never really know exactly where they will go on the layout, so I cover all possibilities.

I also finish all side of the buildings. I am a fan of cab ride videos and then riding through a layout through excellent scenery and then suddenly the train goes past some buildings with gaping holes or n rear walls at all, OUCH. If the building is up against a backdrop or a wall that is anpother matter.

I would agree, if there's any chance of the building being moved or seen, even just in videos, then it's best to build it all.

However, the original comment said that these would placed against the backdrop, which I took to mean that seeing that side would be impossible. But, it's not unusual for things to change and structures to move, so even then, it's probably not a bad idea.

Also, I was thinking of a scratch built building rather than a kit. If it's a kit, why not? You have the materials, they're already sized to fit, they add structure to the building, so in that case, sure, use them!

I do have a few of the Walthers building made to be put against a backdrop that are just a few inches deep and when the town was built, these buildings were already built and were a major part of the track laying process. I had to make sure that the track servicing these rail customers were in before the rest of the yard could be installed.

I model all sides of my structures, but I don't always add extra details to the side that cannot be seen. I have moved or re-positioned structures many times, and in many cases some viewing angles will expose what you might not think will be seen. This can be especially true on much of my layout because much of it is only 2' in depth. Additionally, I am a fan of cab ride view videos and even though I don't do them, I may in the future. Nothing ruins an otherwise good video than viewing blank styrene walls or gaping holes in the backsides of structures. Those structures that butt against the backdrop are acceptable.

Willie

As with painting the web and flange of rails around the layout, I only spend my time on what I suspect might show up in a photograph. What my camera lens won't show, and what my guests and I can't practically see...ever...gets no special finishing. I spend my time improving what is readily visible and will contribute to the illusion that I am in a real world.

Would you finish these areas?

I know many famous modelers finish only the areas that can be seen when the model is set in place on the layout.

What is your opinion and practice in finishing unseen parts of model structures?
No, time is the most precious thing there is. Railroad Modeling time more so. Spending time modeling something that is never going to be seen takes away from everything else.

The only time I would model those types of areas would be for structures that were removable and might be shown as free standing models.

I've been working on this bridge for over a year now. The main structure built out pretty fast, but now, the intricate details of the cat walks with handrails etc have really slowed me down. The bridge is 84" end to end and will carry a double track mainline.
The last picture is the prototype that I'm modeling this after.
I think the detail of the cat walks won't be to noticeable but they certainly add to the intricate detail of the bridge.

0421181534.jpg
0421181535.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Back