Do you model the transition?

Boris, you would be absolutely correct, in fact I never worked for any railroad, let alone having ever operated a Steam Locomotive! Whether those who did, liked; or, disliked them, is up to them to decide and has no basis in whether I should like them; or, not, as a model railroader! Since I am a Transition Era modeler, I model both Steam and diesel! So, I like both; but, prefer steam over diesel

Since you have outlined what you did; or do, as your carrier, I could mentioned my carriers; but, don't feel it is germain to my original post to this thread, which is:

The modeling press here in the Untied States seems to feel that the Transition Era (Steam to diesel era) is the most popular. I'm of the opinion that the modern era has superseded the transition, in popularity. I certainly might be completely wrong. However, I don't see steam engines being as popular as they used to be. Like any questions posed in Model Railroading forums today, nothing of any real substance can be gleaned from the information you give. In other words, no hard evidence of things being one way; or, another can be determined. The question is simply asked to allow us to give an opinion.

Thanks for your time!

The fact that their seems to be some "Venum" in some of the posts here responding to my questions in my original post, has me wondering! Is asking whether you model the Transition Era a similar type of conversation as talking about politics?

The fact that their seems to be some "Venum" in some of the posts here responding to my questions in my original post, has me wondering! Is asking whether you model the Transition Era a similar type of conversation as talking about politics?
Boy! I haven't noticed any "Venum".

Some posters here have stated they have no interest in steam and this makes me wonder why? The puffing smoke and steam, the whirling side rods, the Chuff-chuff-chuff-chuff sounds, the steam whistles and clanging bells! So, what's not to like?

I understand, to each his own; but, a noisy puffing steam engine, compared to a monotone boring diesel! I mean, come-on!
While I think age is a factor, and people model what they remember, if you ever go to a show with layouts watch the interest operating steam draws. Kids are fascinated, as are adults. Everyone seems to like them. For us, just like their real life counterparts they are more expensive, and more difficult to maintain. As far as mechanisms go, there isn't much in the way of "user serviceable components" inside modern offerings. I too find modern trains boring. It's all containers, all tankers, all hoppers, and to me, all modern diesels look alike. Variety is the spice of life!

No hostility here either nor any observed.

To me, the transition era is defined as 1948, when main line diesel road power was becoming common, and 1958, when all but a few major railroads had fully dieselized. As previously stated, m model era is 1966 - 1968, which is a decade removed from the generally accepted end of steam.

That having been established, I responded to your question..." Some posters here have stated they have no interest in steam and this makes me wonder why? ...The puffing smoke and steam, the whirling side rods, the Chuff-chuff-chuff-chuff sounds, the steam whistles and clanging bells! So, what's not to like? ", with an anecdotal portrait of the feelings of professional railroaders in 1967, ten years after the last firebox was dumped. That does not require you or anyone else to adopt the view I presented. It's just a real life example of life on the railroad. For what it's worth, the famous GG1 was rather unpleasant to work on, especially in freight service, cold and drafty in the winter, hot as hades in the summer and forever dirty with excessive noise.
That doesn't make it mandatory for all model railroaders to hate GG1s, but it's part of life experience.

Boris

Boris, So, what does some real Engineers and Firemen's opinions have to do with model railroading? As in every aspect of life their are people who liked what they did/do and others who don't. That some modelers like different eras than I do, is a given! However, I do see people expressing negative opinions in almost every post I make. It is possible that I am more observant about emotions; or how to interpret them, than others. Also, the title of this thread is "Do you model the transition" I would expect those who do not, to pass on the thread, because it really doesn't pertain to them!

G'day again guys.....Not absolutely directly about transition but in this fascinating documentary about Cheyenne and the end of steam era (part 1) it mentions the transition here and there...It's a great doco . Click on the link below and watch when you have time . Goes for about an hour .

Back in the days 1957 -1960 ish when hard work was the order of the day . Great footage too ...Enjoy ..

... Cheers Rod..

So, what does some real Engineers and Firemen's opinions have to do with model railroading?
As much as a model railroader or railfan's opinion has to do with real railroading. If the pro railroader is a modeler, his opinion means a lot more. If the pro railroader is not a model railroader, he or she won't be here.

the title of this thread is "Do you model the transition"

That implies a yes or no answer. Or a no but answer. If you want a discussion limited to Modeling the Transition Era, Then limit it and if it don't fit, I (and others) will avoid it.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that your offense to my comments is personal, and that in your view, any one who disagrees with you is met with some degree of hostility. For what that is worth, I really don't care what you think, youropinion doesn't matter.

Boris

I'm beginning to get the feeling that your offense to my comments is personal, and that in your view, any one who disagrees with you is met with some degree of hostility. For what that is worth, I really don't care what you think, youropinion doesn't matter.

Boris

Not my intentions at all, I like to discuss things and so that is why I will ask questions, no offense has been taken (excepting the comment above): I really don't care what you think, your opinion doesn't matter. Well, It certainly matters to me! I don't see much reason to continue to communicate with you and so I won't!

Last edited by a moderator:
The modeling press here in the Untied States seems to feel that the Transition Era (Steam to diesel era) is the most popular. I'm of the opinion that the modern era has superseded the transition, in popularity. I certainly might be completely wrong. However, I don't see steam engines being as popular as they used to be. Like any questions posed in Model Railroading forums today, nothing of any real substance can be gleaned from the information you give. In other words, no hard evidence of things being one way; or, another can be determined. The question is simply asked to allow us to give an opinion.

Thanks for your time!

Mark, In my 30's I was all enthralled with Dash 8s, Dash 9 CW's and 2nd generation diseasels, Now at 58, I've sold everything "modern" except for a few GP38's, and have purchased nothing but steam and 1st gen diseasels for the last year. Mostly brass, but some plastic too. Why? in a word, sound. A great running steamer with sound is a sensory experience, diesels are about as exciting as an MTA bus. Having had many rides in diseasels in my prior life, and also having has cab rides in WMSR 734, my fondest memories are the ones of the steamer.
My 2 cents

I would say that modeling what a person is familiar with does make some sense. However, in my case, as I have stated in Post #7 of this thread, I just barely remember seeing operating steam. I think more for me it was the fact that the kids in the neighborhood including myself, had train sets that had steamers. My brother and I got an American Flyer set when I was 6-8 years old with a Pennsylvania K4 Pacific. My first HO models where a Varney "Little Joe" Dockside and a Tyco 0-4-0 Booster! I had never had any interest in Diesels, until maybe 20 years ago, when it became apparent to me how dismal steamers for the Northern Pacific were. Really the only diesels available when I started with diesels where Athearn F-7s which where not the correct color!

Karl, I'm glad you came to your senses!

Although I barely remember it, my first experience with prototype steam was as a two-year old, when someone got me into the cab of a Katy switch engine. After that, it was mainly the leaky old teakettles run by the C&NW on their suburban Chicago runs, before Ben Hineman took over and dieselized it. Most of my railroad experience was also as a kid and through my teen years, when I rode the Burlington Zephyrs and the Northwestern 400's. These still bring fond memories, which is why I model the transition period. And, yes, I have quite a few steamers, most of which I kitbashed from Mantua/Tyco's into some other configurations (Mikado's into Burlington 2-10-2's and 2-10-4's; Pacific into an O-5 4-8-4; and parts of a Pacific and a Mike into a B-1a Mountain). Some of these have been converted from DC to DCC. As far as my Zephyrs are concerned, before Walthers came out with E-7's and E-8A/B in Proto2000, I used the bodies from older LifeLike, with stretched Athearn Alco chasis to create a pair of E-7a's. I detailed a couple of P2K E-6's into a Burlington E-5A/B for my Denver Zephyr.

I do have some more modern diesels and rolling stock for when some younger neighbor kids come over, as they can't relate to the old stuff, and the BNSF runs a lot of coal trains along the Front Range.

I do respect the point made referring to the direct thread title . My direct and simple answer is ...no of course . That surely shouldn't necessarily mean that you can't have an opinion or interest in this crucial time of railroading and by definition model railroading though , should it ?. By taking in , commenting and adding content on how the real thing took place could only help not hinder the work of fellow modelers who do . Maybe we need to be a bit more broad minded to that .

I'm plenty broad minded enough to take in other peoples opinions and Rod, you are correct, the original question "Do you model the transition" is asking what you model, if not the transition! You have discussed the question fairly and courteously, so I haven't a problem with what you've said! I guess I did have a problem with Boris! To be honest, it was more than this last little, that put me off with him.

I ask pointed questions because I like to discuss things I find interesting!

NP2626: I've ready this thread three times and I don't really see any "venom" anywhere until after you complained about it. I'm not sure where that came from.

When you ask whether people model the transition or steam era, are people not allowed to actually express the opinion that they don't actually prefer steam?

NP2626: I've ready this thread three times and I don't really see any "venom" anywhere until after you complained about it. I'm not sure where that came from. [/QUOTE}

Chris, I'm Glad you don't see it!

[QUOTE="cv_acr, post: 456501, member: 1066"When you ask whether people model the transition or steam era, are people not allowed to actually express the opinion that they don't actually prefer steam?

Chris, I believe, in the post right above your last post, I explain exactly what I meant for this thread. I feel that, yes, people may state what ever trips their trigger! However, I also thought that it would be likely that if people did not model the transition, people might walk right by. I was incorrect to say this, as I am incorrect about many things!

So, I have to ask, how many times will I have to explain this? Boris and I hit a bump in the road, the outcome is that I will not respond to anything he might say.

I'm plenty broad minded enough to take in other peoples opinions and Rod, you are correct, the original question "Do you model the transition" is asking what you model, if not the transition! You have discussed the question fairly and courteously, so I haven't a problem with what you've said! I guess I did have a problem with Boris! To be honest, it was more than this last little, that put me off with him.

I ask pointed questions because I like to discuss things I find interesting!
Thank you for that . Much appreciated . It is an interesting topic. My transition isn't the thread topic but more within my favourite railway . I model some old ATSF ,some ATSF with hints of BNSF on the locos and rolling stock and BNSF with original markings and swoosh markings and colours . Will be sourcing Burlington Northern originals too over time . Direct topic from me has a sub topic or question . How well do the manufacturers support the late 40's to maybe late 50's for accurate representations ? To my untrained knowledge in this field I hope favourably but only those who model this era could say for sure . Is there much scratch building required . I'd love to know .

Rod, When I started on my layout 30+ years ago, there wasn't much available for the Northern Pacific. Athearn had some F-7s Freight units, both A and B units that had the correct decals; but, where painted/molded from a green color that should have been black. They also made some more modern passenger equipment painted/molded from this same incorrect color. There where brass diesels and steamers that where correct for the transition. I do not recall any N.P. plastic locos for the Northern Pacific, until Life Like Proto 2000 came out with them and they where excellent; but, like many of the P2K locos developed noisy gear trains because of gear failure. There where steam locos made by MDC Roundhouse and Rivarossi that where close enough to Northern Pacific equipment that Kit-Bashes where possible. Two are below. The Northern Pacific never used any USRA type of locos excepting their G-1 0-8-0 switcher, which Walthers P2K did come out with. The situation is better today, Walthers and Intermountain offer F-units done up in Northern Pacific Livery. Locos are available that the Northern Pacific used; but, the manufacturers manage to not make Northern Pacific versions of, so I get out my paints and convert them!

HPIM8117.JPG

The above photo shows my rendition of a Northern Pacific S-4 Ten Wheeler, bashed from an MDC Roundhouse Ten Wheeler kits. It needs some weathering.

HPIM8088.JPG

#1800 is a Rivarossi Mikado bashed into a Northern Pacific W-3 Mike. Many changes where preformed and detail parts added to get the W-3, Domes where moved, added and changed. The steam dome is a wood part turned on my drill motor. The tender was shortened and the coal bunker built up and real coal added and a Dog House scratch built and added to the tender. In reality, the only thing that isn't really right about this loco is that the cab should be 2-3 feet longer.

Back