Do you model the transition?

I believe that is the same flatcar I bought 6 of from a local dealer, some years ago, RTR (Sorry Mark). They have laser cut wooden veneer decks. The only problem with that being, was the grain in the wood ran lengthwise, whereas the boards are "laid" across. Staining/weathering, didn't exactly help. They have a similar fault with their modern 60' cars where the outer boards are correctly grained but the center long ones follow, with the grain wrong. It's one of those annoying things that manufacturers do sometimes and quite inexplicable. Why go to the trouble to be more "real" and then drop the ball on detail.

I can make a plastic deck look like wood. A wood deck with the grain running the wrong way would be a tough flaw to overcome! This is all Moot as I just purchase two of Tichy's 1000 53 foot flat cars. With the needed decals and lumber loads, these will be some of my most expensive cars!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm late to the party and post decision, but there are a ton of Red Caboose kits on e-Bay, their 40 ft. fishbelly flat. Not a bad kit, not long in underbody detail, but very cost friendly. I have a few of them. If you happen to be overly prototype conscious like me, you might have to do a little homework as they painted them for a bunch of roads that didn't have them. It makes up a nice car though.

Mark, I thought you might enjoy this. A small local museum asked me to repair it. it's early Korean, so the solder work is crappy. I got her put back together and running though. NP S-4 4-6-0:
IMG_2376.JPG

Yes Mark the Gorre Northern is indeed going to be a transition era layout. I do love steam engines and they will make up most of my roster but there are some great diesels from the transition era that must appear on my layout. The parent companies of the Gorre Northern are the Northern Pacific and the Great Northern. Of course the orange and green GN F7 will have a roll to play and maybe a black and gold NP RS3. Might even see an SP&S FA unit. But still, Norther Pacific steam engines are my favorite. The NP branchline from Tacoma, WA terminated at South Bend, WA just minutes from where I now live.
Boyd

I am modeling the transition period - but not the one under discussion. I model the future; when diesel and electric locomotives have been replaced by those powered by hydrogen fuel cells. Oh, and there are a few oddballs, too. I have a great Athearn BNSFUPCSXNS (yes, post-merger) StarPower locomotive, where the neutron degeneracy power is held in balance by Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit. But as we all know, they just didn't live up to Alibaba's hype.

I am modeling the transition period - but not the one under discussion. I model the future; when diesel and electric locomotives have been replaced by those powered by hydrogen fuel cells. Oh, and there are a few oddballs, too. I have a great Athearn BNSFUPCSXNS (yes, post-merger) StarPower locomotive, where the neutron degeneracy power is held in balance by Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit. But as we all know, they just didn't live up to Alibaba's hype.

I need to see some photos of those engines. :)

I model the transition era also even though it occurred before I was born. I'm a mechanical minded guy and I just love steam engines. Diesels hide all the moving parts, while with steam it's all out there in the open whirring away.

I also love the Great Northern RR, mainly because they built my favorite place - Glacier National Park. And if you model the Great Northern you are pretty much stuck with mid-60's and earlier. I also think that the rolling stock and automobiles from the late 50's have much more character than current day. Unit trains of tankers, containers and auto racks just don't do it for me. Give me a local mixed freight with a bunch of 40' box cars any day.

I, too, love the transition era where both steam and diesels are seen on cross country trips.
I lived through those times and have memories, but very few train pictures,
One of the few advantages of being older.

Back