Do you have a CART for tools that you can push around to have handy?

N

NP2626

I just ordered a four wheeled cart that has two trays for tools and what not. Two wheels are on casters and two are not. The cart I ordered comes from Northern Tool and is a hell of a buy right now: Here is the cart i just bought for $29.99: https://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/534/53414_2000x2000.jpg
I expect I will have to assemble this cart. Plastic carts similar to this one can cost as much as much as $200.00 plus! Shipping cost me $20.00. I worked with similar carts at my last job and found them to be very convenient. I will rig up an electrical outlet secured to the cart and use an extension cord for powering.

My latest Model Railroader Magazine had a layout article in it that the owner had used a cart similar to this one and I thought, WOW, what a great idea. It seems that I spend too much project time going back to me bench to get another tool. This cart will end this!

I use a metal cart like the mesh chrome ones ones used in food service purchased from Sam's Club for under $30.00. It has two shelves and is approximately 18 inches by 40 inches. I store my commonly used supplies on the cart and made holders out of 1/2 inch copper pipe for holding wire spools. Screw drivers and other tools slip between the mesh and are easy to locate. Very handy.

The open plated wire mash of the cart's shelves makes finding item easy. I store the cart under the layout when not in use. One project is to clean up and organize the cart.

I has have a plastic drawer tower on wheels that I store scenery material I seldom use. This also fits under the layout out of site.

Mark: You have a good idea about the electrical outlet on the cart. I would like to do the same on my cart. I use an old wooden desk for a work bench and I installed an outlet on the side of the desk (work Bench) as well and a hook or two for hanging power tools like my Dremel.

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 7 drawer tool chest that doubles as a home for my engines as well as "some of" my modelling paraphernalia. Can't say that it is terribly mobile though.

Yes, I have one of those. I got one of the plastic ones from Home Depot a couple years ago when it was on Christmas clearance. I figured it was PERFECT to get all those tools off of the bar top! And I'm sure it will be... some day... when I actually clean off the bar top.

Yes, I do. When I was a member of the club (1997 or so?) we noted it was time consuming not only going to a fro to get tools and supplies from the work room or tool boxes scattered about, but also once the scenery started going in there wasn't any convenient work space either. One fellow got one of these rolling tool boxes with a nice flat top. It worked so well I ran out and bought one for myself. Mine has 4 enclosed drawers and a solid top. I could lock my tools/equipment into it and just leave them at the club instead of lugging them back and forth from home.

We also keep 4 of them under the staging yard at the museum layout.

I have 2 of them. One for scenery materials and tools, and one for other hand tools and my DeWalt drills, saws, light, and impact guns. They are both very handy, especially when I remember to put the stuff away on them. ;)

My $29.95 steel cart arrived yesterday from Northern Tool and is setting down in the basement waiting for me to assemble. I will also be mounting a fourplex receptacle with an extension cord to the cart during assembly, so I can use soldering and other electrical tools with it. This will be the new home for many of these tools.

Dang Mark, I have one in the garage I never thought about bringing into the house... D'oh!
I like the receptacle idea, might just have to copy that, thanx!

I just ordered a four wheeled cart that has two trays for tools and what not. Two wheels are on casters and two are not. The cart I ordered comes from Northern Tool and is a hell of a buy right now: Here is the cart i just bought for $29.99: https://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/534/53414_2000x2000.jpg
I expect I will have to assemble this cart. Plastic carts similar to this one can cost as much as much as $200.00 plus! Shipping cost me $20.00. I worked with similar carts at my last job and found them to be very convenient. I will rig up an electrical outlet secured to the cart and use an extension cord for powering.

My latest Model Railroader Magazine had a layout article in it that the owner had used a cart similar to this one and I thought, WOW, what a great idea. It seems that I spend too much project time going back to me bench to get another tool. This cart will end this!
I had an old metal kitchen cart on casters sitting around. I put a box on top with 2" high sides. It also has a middle and bottom shelf as well that I set my tools on. I set a tool tote in the box for my painting supplies. I also mounted a pull down retractable extension cord on the ceiling above my layout. Anytime I need power, I just pull down the cord. This allows me to roll the cart anywhere cordless.

This is a good thread - and, you guys have given me some very good suggestions. I have used plastic "garden tote trays" before, but just never thought it through like you guys have done. I also have a hanging power cord above my workbench as well as plugin places on each side. I like the hanging power cord when I am using a sander or some tool that I don't want the cord getting in the way.
MARK - Little confused by your statement? Do you mean that two wheels swivel and two do not?

Sirfoldalot, yes, two wheels swivel (are casters) and two wheels don't swivel (are fixed). I put the two that are casters in the back, where you push from, this makes the cart more maneuverable, like a Fork Lift.

I have a chrome metal mesh cart and its filled to where I can't add anymore supplies. I plan on purchasing second cart and then selectively used them for specific supplies like one cart for electrical and the other fo scenery products.

Greg

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a pack rat. My stuff is encroaching on my layout area. I have a mechanics tool cart, but
never used it for the layout as my floor space is limited. So I always used a tool box tool tray like this tool tray.jpg

I don't have that many tools, but at some point, I may get something like this for rolling stock. Most of my actual train tools are just repurposed from the tools I use for working on my motorcycle, so they logically belong there.

I'll probably wind up hitting Goodwill for some luggage and just build a few trays for rolling stock and the train specific tools I need.

I don't have that many tools, but at some point, I may get something like this for rolling stock. Most of my actual train tools are just repurposed from the tools I use for working on my motorcycle, so they logically belong there.

I'll probably wind up hitting Goodwill for some luggage and just build a few trays for rolling stock and the train specific tools I need.

While I do have tools that were purchased specifically for my hobbies, many are tools I've purchased to work on odd jobs for my cars, home and some even came from the work I did when I worked as a tool and die maker; or, the other work I did when working for a living. Where the tools come from isn't very important as a place to put them. I've found over the 30 plus years I have been building my model railroad that there where certain tools and supplies I constantly needed for working on the layout and these where the tools that found a home on the cart. For the most part there are few tools in the top tray of the cart, as this area is where I might have to work, instead of my bench. So, I intentionally leave this location on the cart empty.

I have had the cart for almost a year now. I have found it to be handy although I still prefer working on projects on my work bench which might only be 8-10 feet away from my layout. The open areas around my layout are small and space is limited; but, I have a place for the cart under my bench work, so the cart actually takes up little space when stowed away. I' found my cart to be very handy, especially the fact that it has its' own 120 volt power, when needed.

Mark your cart is a great idea!

I have this,
1546516826852.png

but the addition of a cart will make things even easier!

Neat, what a great tool for working under your layout. I doubt that a Cart was my idea, I just commented that a cart would be a great addition to my layout and so, purchased one.

Neat, what a great tool for working under your layout. I doubt that a Cart was my idea, I just commented on that a cart would be a great addition to my layout and so, purchased one.

That is what I was thinking. Since I have no bench work yet, my idea was to build high enough to allow me to roll under.

Back