Ditch light replacements - Genesis SD75M

Selector

Hi, fellas. I have two Genesis SD75M's, but from different issues. My fixit guy says one of my ditch light bulbs is burned out and needs replacing. (Trust me, I am not one for fiddling with tiny things...we just don't get along well together, and he loves to fiddle with toy trains.)

This particular engine's ditch lights seem larger than the ones on the other run. But I can't tell you what they are, what run of engine it is...so...can anyone suggest a permanent cure, or at least something better than merely replacing the bulb and having it burn out within an hour? I know they are problematic with Genesis.

Or, if I am pretty much stuck unless I want to do some major mods of the lighting compartments, is there a slightly higher voltage bulb that will still fit the enclosure caps that are slid onto the bulbs, thatI can use so that the replacements don't burn out nearly as fast? What would be a good replacement? And from what supplier?

Thanks for your understanding (of my ineptitude...:eek:) and for your advice.

-Crandell

Can you post a picture of both lights? The ditch lights I have on my NYSW SD70M's are different then the genesis ditch lights that you can buy seperately. The ones on the models you can replace the bulbs if you can get them out. The lights that come in a pack you can't.

Thanks for your quick reply, NYSW 45. I don't have the item here, but will ask Mr. Fixit to take a photo and send it on to me.

-Crandell

Here is an image. The other model has block-like ditch lights, not pedestal type as the one below has:

cid_D90609E57B154134AD5BF2A2D4B455D.png

-Crandell

those look like the ones that are 1 piece. If they are you'll need to find a place that has those in stock as athearn seems to never have anything in stock. I like the ones that you put both sides together and then route the bulb through the housing.

The fellow willing to do the work says that the bulbs actually hold the front of the ditch light housing, or that those housings are pressed on. He says if he is going to replace them, it should be with ones expected to last longer by burning less brightly; hence ones that would need more voltage to get to the same brightness as these originals. He doesn't know what voltage these ones are, or even where to get better ones that would fit.

-Crandell

Back