Distracting voices and heads popping-up in videos.

N

NP2626

I can't be sure about this; but, I believe the only videos on model railroading that I have ever seen that hasn't been messed up by distracting noises voices; or, a head popping ups along side the layout, has been done by Pelle Soeborg. I guess I can't figure out why model railroaders allow this to happen. I love to see videos of other people layouts! However it is rare to see them without giants being sighted along the right of way; or, being able to hear them talk. Maybe this doesn't bother others, don't know!

I also find it quite distracting, but sometimes there isn't much of a choice. I know that when I try to take videos st the club in Livingston, there is an open house during operating sessions. Not only are there visitors, but with numerous trains running, operators are also scurrying around trying to throw switches for passing sidings or cross overs.

I really enjoy watching cab ride videos and many of them are taken during Freemos set up for public display. Others are taken while visiting different layouts which are also open to the public. I can remember one fantastic layout cab ride where the operator insisted on following his train from the front instead of watching from behind. Really go tired of looking at his face. I posted a comment about that and all I got was whining from the operator.

I'm conscious of that when shooting video on my layout. No pop-up heads in mine, nor are there distracting voices.
Check out my YouTube page of EasternSP Rails. About 70 videos of the progress on my layout and other things related to model railroading there.

Those are rarely done and posted by professionals. Poelle's are done by professionals, or by him as a schooled person who self-promotes wisely.

Very hard to avoid in club situations, unless you can arrange a private session and even then easy to do. Editing out might spoil the flow sometimes. I did one where a member arrived with his 2 young daughters and they proceeded to run all around the place, screaming and laughing their heads off, and someone else banged the door on a tool cupboard loudly, ruining it. As I had to keep the train moving, it's not suitable for public viewing.

If the interior of the tunnel has been sceniced then it's O.K. However, most are not sceniced beyond what can be seen from a view from outside. I should think that a club would want their layout filmed as realistically as possible and therefore would be willing to have it filmed without distractions. Set-up a time when only a few people would be there and those that are, know that they need to remain out of sight. I've also seen a few videos where someone is holding the camera and darting around the layout with the camera hardly focused on anything. I feel the onset of a bit of motion sickness from these types of videos and end them post haste.

I'm conscious of that when shooting video on my layout. No pop-up heads in mine, nor are there distracting voices.
Check out my YouTube page of EasternSP Rails. About 70 videos of the progress on my layout and other things related to model railroading there.

Ken
When ya absolutely positively need model railroad fun, choose the D&J Railroad.

Visit the progress of the construction of the D&J Railroad at:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...-From-Scratch]

Ken, when I click on your photos or videos there is a photo of a kitten and I get the following message:

[h=2]Sorry, the requested page does not exist.[/h]Please check the URL for correct spelling and capitalization.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken
When ya absolutely positively need model railroad fun, choose the D&J Railroad.

Visit the progress of the construction of the D&J Railroad at:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...-From-Scratch]

Ken, when I click on your photos or videos there is a photo of a kitten and I get the following message:

Sorry, the requested page does not exist.

Please check the URL for correct spelling and capitalization.

Mark - Kens forum photos got kidnapped by Photobucket and are being held for ransom. I think what he is referring to is his YouTube page. Although I don't see 70 of them.
https://www.youtube.com/user/dandjvidprod/featured

Willie

Actually, there are two YouTube sites by my EasternSP name. They are both my videos. I had some trouble understanding the YouTube channel procedures a few years ago. I can't move videos from one channel to the other to combine them onto one.

I haven't seen any of Pete's video's but there is a guy on who travels to homes to video layouts and he seems to be more interested in becoming a youtube star than a facilitator of seeing layouts. His video's always start out with a cartoon rocket and then him and his wife in their car on the way to some-ones layout yacking. Thank goodness fast forward. Every time I see one of his video's, I instantly skip past the talking heads and go straight to the layout scenes.

I think the guy you are thinking about is Bill Fagan. I have see numerous cab ride videos of different layouts published by him.

If the interior of the tunnel has been sceniced then it's O.K. However, most are not sceniced beyond what can be seen from a view from outside I've also seen a few videos where someone is holding the camera and darting around the layout with the camera hardly focused on anything. I feel the onset of a bit of motion sickness from these types of videos and end them post haste.
EDITED

HA, Reminds me of when I got my first little KODAK SUPER 8 movie camera. I filmed hundreds of feet of film not knowing that a thousand 2-3 second shots didn't amount to anything worth trying to watch! Blew off a whole trip on the D&RGW ... DRAT! Had to go back the next year .. CHEERS!

EDITED

HA, Reminds me of when I got my first little KODAK SUPER 8 movie camera. I filmed hundreds of feet of film not knowing that a thousand 2-3 second shots didn't amount to anything worth trying to watch! Blew off a whole trip on the D&RGW ... DRAT! Had to go back the next year .. CHEERS!

Sounds like a good reason to me to go back.

I have to agree, video's that include "body parts" and irrelevant conversation are annoying. I understand, in a club environment or any public place, getting voices in a video is unavoidable as is (most likely) the occasional head or other body part.

Hearing voices, other than an explanation of something to do with the layout, and/or seeing body parts in a "home shot video" is annoying and probably should be avoided. I know when I do a video I try to do one when it it quiet around the house so there are no noises other than that of the train. You will never see a body part in my video's as I am the only one in the room and behind the camera.

As for video's of trains going through tunnels goes (cab views) well, tunnels are apart of a layout and the idea of a cab view video is to show the layout, all of it including tunnels whether they contain scenery or not. With that being said, I try to at least paint the insides of my tunnels black so I can see how watching a "tunnel segment" where all you see is green foam or bare ply etc is a little disappointing.

For me though, I don't look at a video to be critical of the "video technique", I look at them to see the layout or the work being done on a layout. Sure, a no noise, no body part, crystal clear, properly lit video is always preferable; however, most of us are amateurs when it comes to videoing something and are simply doing our best to show others what is going on. In short, appreciate the effort and ignore the distractions ;)

Yeah, down with body parts. I have no desire to watch some guy yak in his car on the way to some guys house with a nice layout; seems like they just want their 15 minutes of fame - or sometimes a lot more when you spread the same MO across all the video's the guy makes. Click ahead FTW! When I watch anything on YouTube I tend to skip ahead to the meat very quickly. So whoever makes video's on YouTube, do us all a favor and stop the long intro's, we don't watch them anyway.

My gripe, apart from the particular one just mentioned, are the "How To's, that do much the same and spend half the video getting to the "actuall".

Here's a well produced model railroad U Tube video...
Looks like Bill Rodger's work. He is a professional videographer who does all the Museum's official work. Bob Wandel has enough Union Pacific equipment that he can reproduce any UP named train. I missed UP days this year so I didn't see this train, but last weekend he had a City of St. Louis with the Alco PAs on the point. It was very impressive even if it was yellow.

In this video looks like we need to have a chat about yard limit speeds with the engineer of those three SP units in the opening few moments. Way too fast. I can guess who that engineer might be... :)

Back