Disappointed with DPM kit

ICG/SOU

HO & O (3-rail) trainman
So I redesigned part of my layout to accommodate more of a downtown, and recently picked up the DPM kit "The Other Corner Cafe". I took it out of the package last night so I could get it ready for painting (painting the interior black) and was disappointed.

I knew from here that the DPM kits need some fitting, but this one needs a lot of it. The edges of the walls are square or mitered or anything. So to get stuff to fit square, I'll have to remove and reshape the edges. The corner door doesn't fit dimensionally either in height (too long) or in shape to the walls. Besides not having notches, guide pieces, etc. my greatest shock was NO ROOF.

I just put the Pikestuff Atkinson Engine Facility together, so I know that many kits don't have foundations or floors, or window glazing, but NO ROOF?

Are the GOLD Series kits any better? I'm looking at the Entertainment District one, but if it is missing the roof or some other essential piece of construction, then I'll keep shopping.

I'm curious what the parts look like, right out of the box. Do you have a photo or two? Thanks.

It sounds like it is supposed to include the roof in the kit. I looked on a site selling this kit and it mentions the roof.

Looks like someone bought it to get the roof & then returned it to the shop & they didn't check it.

I would suggest that you either contact the manufacturer and ask about the roof, or see if you LHS will make it good with a swap or a refund.

a suitable piece of cardstock, or if you wish, styrene is all you need. You'll have to cover it with roofing paper, shingles, or whatever, but those weren't ever included anyway.

You can make your own faster than you can type an email to complain.

The extreme tapers on the corners are technically called 'draft', it allows the parts to come out of the mold and still have some brick detail. I too thought that they were a bit over-drafted, but closer inspection showed that it wasn't. It won't come out of the mold if it was any less.

It isn't too hard to disguise with downspouts, vines, power poles, etc. The seam is more visible than the angle once you get it completed. Here's an example that shows it undisguised.

I built their Goldline passenger station/depot kit, and it came with everything, including glazing, platforms and a roof. As with all DPM kits, the walls did need some work to fit square, but overall the kit was very nice.

I'd contact DPM, it may just be an error in packaging the kit.

The package was sealed, so I don't think it was a return.

I got 4 walls, one door, 2 chimney halves, one sheet of clear glazing, one thin sheet of white plastic (same thickness as glazing...to protect the glazing), instructions, and an advertisement for other DPM kits. The instructions said I'd need to build the building, cut a piece of cardboard to fit the roof hole, and use as a template for the styrene (I assume to purchase separately).

I'll make my own roof out of sheet styrene, but will have to add plastic in the building frame to prevent it from falling all the way to the bottom. In fact, I expected to do some work to all my buildings, since the layout is more eye-level, I'll need to do some interior detail as well.

The package was sealed, so I don't think it was a return.

You can't judge by that.

A heat sealing kit is inexpensive these days. I got mine from Uline for less than $200.00 Canadian. It will handle up to a 12" wide bag.

Most shops have one in the back, because Customers have a habit of opening packages and not always buying the product.
Good shops will inspect that ALL the parts are there before the item is resealed. However, sometimes things get done in a hurry and care is not always taken. I know at my shop, I insist on doing ALL the repackaging, so that I know the customer will get a full kit. If a kit is not full, it is put in our clearance section, or if it is something that will work on one of our home layouts, the guys get a bargain. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought 2 of the DPM buildings when they first were available. They came in zip lock plastic bags back then. That was back at the 1986 NMRA convention in Boston. A month or so ago I got around to building the Cutting Scissors one. Even back then it was complete with sheet styrene roof panels and clear window glazing. The corners of the walls did need some dressing to mate seamlessly. I used a 10 inch flat secondcut file to obtain good long flat surfaces. I have a small perfectly square block of tool steel I use when mating wall sections. Build it in 2 L shaped halves and then when they are set join them together on a flat surface. Also added 1/8 square styrene lengths to the inner walls to support the roof panels. One other thing that was in the kit bag was the receipt from when I bought them. One kit was $4.95 and the Cutting Scissors kit was $5.95. So much for the good old days.

I built 6 of the DPM kits for a small town, and none had a panel that was the roof, but all had a sheet of styrene you need to cut and some small strips that you need to glue to the inside walls to support the roof. My guess is the white sheet you assumed was to protect the clear glazing IS your roof. I did mine the same as mike, using a file to square the corners. I also added some roof details since the styrene roof is pretty boring with no detail.

I am curious what the DPM buildings look like, before you do any detailing work. Does anyone have photos? I don't have a shop nearby to see them in person.

Thanks

Dave1905 is correct about the roof. I have purchased 7 DPM kits (including the one you have) and all had the thin styrene for the roof (which you have to cut to size) and one or 2 square styrene strips you have to cut and glue to the walls to support the roof. On one kit the roof space was so large that the styrene roof sagged it was so thin. I just added some additional styrene strips underneath to support it.

Mike, DPM models (and Walthers Merchant Row, which were made by DPM), are just white or grey plastic. You have to provide all the paint for the base colors and contrasting details. All the DPM kits I've built have the white styrene sheet as the roof material and it's up to you to cut it to size. The walls tend not to be square and plumb and do need to do some file work to get them to fit right. If you have the patience and skill, you can produce a nice structure. If that's not up your alley, I suggest looking at the Woodland Scenics line of ready built structures. Outstanding work and the price is very reasonable considering the labor and materials you'd go through to produce a similar quality structure.

I bought (4)DPM kits several years ago. I WILL NOT buy another!! I think that they could do a much better job in their QC. I prefer to buy Walthers Cornerstone, and the Woodland Scenics can be made to look nice with a bit of paint and chalks, I agree, Jim.

Most of my structures have been discontinued for years. That's to be expected when one has been in the hobby for (5)decades. I've also purchased many unique structures at shows that have been scratch built and are "one-of-a-kind".

DPM? No thanks.

Bob

I am curious what the DPM buildings look like, before you do any detailing work. Does anyone have photos? I don't have a shop nearby to see them in person.

Thanks

Mike, here's a few I did the basic construction on. I haven't done much else to them yet.

100_4024.jpg

100_4025.jpg

The wall castings on DPM kits are all beveled slightly to facilitate release from the mold. You have to sand them square. No big deal with the sanding tool from NWSL. They make nice buildings, but if you want "shake the box" ease of assembly, you won't like them.

The wall castings on DPM kits are all beveled slightly to facilitate release from the mold. You have to sand them square. No big deal with the sanding tool from NWSL. They make nice buildings, but if you want "shake the box" ease of assembly, you won't like them.
How true, although they are still easier than Downtown Deco 'plaster' kits. You'll almost never have a DPM kit with broken wall castings whereas the DD kits will be almost guaranteed to have a couple of broken wall castings.

And the DPM kits are relatively easy to kitbash.

Have never used the included 'roof' panels with DPM kits as the types of roofs I model tend to use standing seamed tin roofs for which I use Evergreen plastic panels with the insertable roof ribs.

Couldn't agree more on the Downtown Deco kits. How that company stays in business is beyond me. Not only do the hydrocal castings break easily, they are almost never flat or true so it takes a lot of sanding and filling work to get them put together. You still have to do as much detail painting as with a DPM kit but getting a kit put together without breaking something is a near impossibility. They are also expensive as all get out for what you get. I got suckered into buying two of their kits because the pictures looked so good. Never again. :mad:

Back