Dilemma...?

P&W

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I'm looking at getting back into the hobby after about a 20 year hiatus. I'm looking at building a layout in the next year. I have a LOT of my old stuff (locos, cars, buildings), but I will need to buy track and turnouts. Most of the locos still run well in DC (tested them last weekend). I am looking at going to DCC since the wiring for DC is a pain you know where. I've been reading on the forum and reviews on the DCC systems out there. I have found an MRC Prodigy Advance system on sale for $149, and I was wondering if I should grab it? I don't foresee joining a club, and none of my friends are into trains so I won't be swapping any equipment. Seems like most like the Digitrax systems, but the price draws me to the MRC. Also, is there anywhere online to buy turnouts in bulk (at least 6)? If it makes a difference, I have HO, and the track will be code 100 n/s. Thanks for any ideas.

Brian

Hi Brian and welcome. There have been a lot of threads related to the MRC systems. To help you out you might read some of the posts in this search
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/search.php?searchid=326782

$149 sounds like a real good price to me for the Advance but I'm not in the USA. The price seems too low to be a true advance system, so are you sure it's not the Prodigy Express or an earlier obsolete MRC DCC system. If I'm not wrong I think if I can recall that they called that an Advance system also.
Wait for one of our more DCC knowledgeable members answers before you make your decision, it just doesn't sound right to me.

Cheers
Willis

The price is pretty good, I have seen them go a little cheaper on ebay.Keep in mind the system is no longer made so they are becoming hard to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
First: Welcome to the Forum and back to MR!

Brian, you shouldn't have any problem at any online store ordering 6 or more turnouts at a time. Walthers Shinohara turnouts are the only type that I know are hard to find, with exception of two or three times of the year. I like to use First Place Hobbies that have excellent prices and service. They are in Indiana and your order usually goes out in a day. My shipments average about 3-4 working days for receipt. There are many other good places that the guys use, but First Place is ideal for our part of the woods.
http://www.1stplacehobbies.com./

Welcome aboard, Brian. As Willis said, there are many threads here discussing the merits (and demerits) of MRC vs Digitrax. I use the Digitrax Zephyr and got it for less than $200. I like it but that doesn't mean I probably wouldn't also like the MRC if I got that one first. Even though the Advance is no longer a current product, there are many users and support and parts will be available for a long time.

1st Place Hobbies, www.modeltrainstuff.com, and www.hobbylinc.com are all good places to compare prices and buy switches. Any of them will be happy to sell you all the switches they have in stock. :)

I have chosen not to consider the MRC DCC control offerings because I want to connect to a PC and use JMRI and DecoderPro. MRC's is going its own way with PC software, all proprietary instead of open source. If PC connectivity does not interest you, that might be a decent price. But it is likely the older Advance and not the Advance2. So you might want to look for its limitations.

Thanks everyone for the replies. My decision just got easier.... I was drawn to it because of the cost. I asked the store to tell me what was included and if the price was current (website not updated in a while), and they told me they were sold out. I was trying to hold off until I got the layout under construction, but, if the price was that good, I was going to go ahead and get it.

I think I am close to having enough track, so I was looking at buying bulk turnouts for a price break. My local hoppy store (Hobbytown) will sell me all on their rack (3 or 4 each left and right :-/) for full retail. I think my layout ideas will eat them up, and I don't have that many from my older layout that are still useable. I'll check the websites mentioned, and research further on the DCC. All I'm really wanting is to run 2 or 3 trains while doing some yard switching (without the DC wiring nightmare). It is just me for now. I'm sure my nephew will be interested in a couple years. He's all about Thomas already (2 1/2).

I don't mind staying a little behind times. I've learned I can save a little money and it gives the products some time to work the bugs out. The PC thing doesn't really appeal to me at this time, but it sounds pretty cool.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me clarify one thing about the MRC Prodigy Advance, it is easily upgradeable to the current standards, so if you find it cheap enough, grab it. With a single upgrade it becomes the same as a Advance2, even compatable with the wireless handheld that is available and the pc interface. :cool:

Let me clarify one thing about the MRC Prodigy Advance, it is easily upgradeable to the current standards, so if you find it cheap enough, grab it. With a single upgrade it becomes the same as a Advance2, even compatable with the wireless handheld that is available and the pc interface. :cool:

As far as I know, there is no PC interface available currently.

Back