Digitrax Zephyr Xtra + Tsunami Sound Decoder

Mouse

Hey fellow train modelers,

I just recieved my Digitrax Zephyr Xtra DCC System. I have 2 Athearn Genesis SD70ACe's with Soundtraxx Tsunami Sound Decoders factory installed and I would like to program / change CV's and what not. My question is in regards to Soundtraxx recomending I use their PTB-100 Programming Track Booster inconjunction with the Digitrax System.

Is this really needed to program the Tsunami Decoder? So far, I havent been able to get the system to allow me to do anything other then run the Loco's on there current 2 digit address. Or is there something Digitrax makes that will do the same thing as the Soundtraxx PTB-100?

Also if the PTB-100 is the way to go, does anyone have a wiring diagram or some photos of theres in use? Or even if some one with a Digitraxx system can chime in, that would be great. The PTB-100 can be had for abotu $45 bux which isnt to bad I suppose. Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

Program in OPS mode. Make sure to program on the main with the address of the decoder selected and running or else it will program everything on the track!

If you're changing the address or changing speed CVs, the loco will lurch forward a bit to acknowledge the programming. If you're changing the sound CVs, you'll have to cycle track power to hear the difference.

Program in OPS mode. Make sure to program on the main with the address of the decoder selected and running or else it will program everything on the track!

If you're changing the address or changing speed CVs, the loco will lurch forward a bit to acknowledge the programming. If you're changing the sound CVs, you'll have to cycle track power to hear the difference.

Ive tried in OPS mode to atleat give the loco's 4 Digit address's(rode number)
but its not taking the programming. All my other locos with Digitrax decoders in them had no issue with this. It seems like I cant get it to do anything with the SD70Ace's other then run and use the factory settings for sound lighting etc.

Ah, the SD70ACes are a pain. I just kept trying over and over again cycling power between tries and eventually I was able to program them. (on OPs mode)

Not having any luck with these two Ace's :confused: Cycling hasnt helped.

Edit: Still messing with it and getting know where. Flashes "busy" but does nothing. Looks like I may need to purge and buy the PTB-100 and save the head ache for something else. Atleast the Ace's are set to 2 differant address's thanks to the old Ez Command that I gave away.

Edit #2: Looks like I got it to wear I can change CV's now! But im still unable to change the loco's address :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the Zephyr Extra, but was not able to get the regular Zephyr and a PTB100 to work together. I ended up buying a SPROG2 and downloading JMRI, and haven't looked back.

Well ive come across a new problem and i have no clue how to fix it. One of my Athearn Ace's works perfectly. The 2nd one, I cant get it to do anything now. I think I may have changed the address on it but i cant figure out what it is x_x

Ive tried reseting the decoder to factory settings by setting CV8 to 8 but it makes no differance. Is there anyway to fix it?

If you have a programming track, go to "dir" (direct) mode programming. Soundtraxx for some reason doesn't like to have its address changed in OPS mode with a Zephyr. So, you push "prog" until "dir" is displayed. Power to the track needs to be off. Put the locomotive on the programming track, then push "loco" until "add4" is displayed. Enter the address, then push "cv wr". The display of the Zephyr should flicker a few times, then come on steady. Put it on the track, turn on power, and try the engine with the new address.
Most of the other CVs can be programmed on the main, with the power on to the track and the address of the unit you are working on displayed on the Zephyr.
If the above doesn't work, plan B:
Turn off track power.
Place locomotive on the programming track
Push the "prog" button until "dir" is displayed
Push "steps cv"
(Now, here it gets a bit more complex:)
Push "17"
Using this table, calculate what cv 17 should be for your 4 digit address: http://www.ruppweb.org/Xray/comp/decoder.htm
Enter that number
Push "cv wr"
Push "steps cv"
Enter the number for cv 18 for your 4 digit address
Push "cv wr"
Push "steps cv"
Enter "29"
Push "34"
Push "cv wr"
Your locomotive should now respond to the address you wanted.

The loco whose address you don't know should still respond to programming if you select address '0' and go into ops mode programming. Make sure all you're other locos are off the layout if you try that because address '0' is the broadcast address and any program commands ssent to that address will be accepted by all of them. I don't have any personal experience with Tsunamis, but I know many people have been able to program them using ops mode. One thing to be aware of is you can not change the currently active address.For example, if it is running using a short address and you want to change it to another short address, you would have to give it a long address and use the long address to give it another short address.

If you can't get the programming done in ops mode, another option is the Zephyr's "Blast mode." Check the manual for changing the Zephyr's "option switches" and change OpSw 7 to 'c'. Make sure all you're other locos are off the layout(in blast mode, the Zephyr sends out service mode programming commands on the main track outputs) and program using one of the service mode options. Make sure you change OpSw 7 back to 't' when done.

The loco whose address you don't know should still respond to programming if you select address '0' and go into ops mode programming. Make sure all you're other locos are off the layout if you try that because address '0' is the broadcast address and any program commands ssent to that address will be accepted by all of them. I don't have any personal experience with Tsunamis, but I know many people have been able to program them using ops mode. One thing to be aware of is you can not change the currently active address.For example, if it is running using a short address and you want to change it to another short address, you would have to give it a long address and use the long address to give it another short address.

If you can't get the programming done in ops mode, another option is the Zephyr's "Blast mode." Check the manual for changing the Zephyr's "option switches" and change OpSw 7 to 'c'. Make sure all you're other locos are off the layout(in blast mode, the Zephyr sends out service mode programming commands on the main track outputs) and program using one of the service mode options. Make sure you change OpSw 7 back to 't' when done.

Thanks for this CSX Robert! Finnally got it reset back to factory defaults! Using address '0'. :D Now i can go back through and set it up!

One other question, is what CV or CV's needs to be changed so that the sound only comes on / off once the specific locomotive is selected / deselected. Searched the net for this and wasnt able to find an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
One other question, is what CV or CV's needs to be changed so that the sound only comes on / off once the specific locomotive is selected / deselected. Searched the net for this and wasnt able to find an answer.
You will need to change the cv so you will have manual notching. That is the only way to get start up/shut down with a Tsunami. That is per Soundtraxx, when I asked them in person.

Well, through buttons at least. If you hit Emergency Stop (the zephyr Xtra may not have it, but on the DT400 series throttles, it's there) it will shut the engine down (and play the shutdown sound). After that, the engine will not start up unless you try call up the address and try to move the engine.

Well, through buttons at least. If you hit Emergency Stop (the zephyr Xtra may not have it, but on the DT400 series throttles, it's there) it will shut the engine down (and play the shutdown sound). After that, the engine will not start up unless you try call up the address and try to move the engine.
Yes, the Zephyr doesn't have the E-stop (aka panic) button.

Back