Digitrax Zephyr or NCE Power Cab

Jason K

I am looking at both of them I am kinda leaning to the NCE Power Cab but I talk to him today and he told me they are going to be comming out with a newer updated one here in a few months.Plus where I am going to get one of them from told me that the power cab you can grow on it but not as good as the digitrax. When it comes to this matter I have seen on here it is like ford vs chevy.I have my opinion on that ford vs chevy..lol.:rolleyes:But anyways I am need something to grow with in time I will be running 2 or 3 ho's on the tracks or more don't know if it will work on a 4x8 lay out.But hopefully my wife will let me grow bigger.Let me tell you my wife is not easy too deal with..lol.Anyways what do you all think is the best bet hands down on this matter.I am not scared to learn hard things.But not too hard if you know what I mean.Oh after some hard thinking I am going with a soundtraxx decoders.So it must work well with the soundtraxx decoders

Thanks
Jason K

Last edited by a moderator:
Either will work well with Soundtraxx. Both can be expanded. It is a Ford vs Chevy or PC vs Mac type of issue. I have owned Digitrax in the past, though not a Zephyr. I now own a Powercab. One does not expand any better than the other if you read the manuals or talk with the owners. They cna both be expanded, but it is done a little differently. You have to listen carefully and filter out brand loyalty, because most of us will promote what we own.

Either will work fine on a 4 x 8 layout, and either will run 2-3 trains. I'd suggest you check out both systems at your LHS if possible! The Powercab has the command station in the handset. The zephyr is not mobile unless you add a throttle. This may not matter to you. I have also found NCE generally easier to program decoders with. if you are using JMRI this will not matter. NCE manuals are also easier to read than Digitrax manuals. I'd get my hands on both before buying. Talk with owners of both systems.

Hobby shops will also tend to promote what they sell the most of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the Digitrax Zephyr. It's a great unit, and VERY VERY expandable. Everything has worked together so well it's like a dream.

I am still too fig this out NCE or the Digitrax..If I go with a power cab should I wait until the updated one comes out.I know I am going to buy one of the two here in the next fwe weeks.If I go with a NCE can I have that one updated?

Thanks
Jason

NCE is pretty good about updating their stuff. We've had the software in the club's Power Pro system updated. You might end up having to send it back to them. Best thing is to get your hands on both systems and see which one you like.

I would like to try them out.The only problem is I have no LHS that lets you try them out at all.The only LHS is about 2.5 too 3 hrs away from me.How long does it take for turn around with NCE?? Everything I get is mail order or ebay.So I am trusting all of you guys to guide me the right way.

Thanks
Jason

Thanks for the Info.I did find a shop that will let me try them out.He said he will take them out of the box and let me try them.The only thing it is about 4hrs away from me.I am too the point to say the heck with it.I mite be heading down there my son and I in a few weeks.I really need to check them out.Yea he told me they are both good to go with.He told me it is the way it feels to the person each person is diff.Did NCE or Digitrax come out frist? And what one is better about up dates?

Thanks
Jason

Not sure who came out first. NCE is very good about upgrades. I never upgraded any Digitrax equipment, but they are very good about backwards compatibility. When all this started Digitrax was about half the cost of NCE, so lots of guys went for Digitrax because of the cost difference, including yours truly :D They're pretty close now though! A Power Cab and a Zephyr are in the same ballpark when it comes to cost. If it were me, I'd get the Power Cab. I prefer a handheld throttle, where the Zephyr resembles a power pack. You mount it somewhere, and that's where it stays.

It looks as though the Power Cab is the one for me but what about sound? Does the base unit support sound or is that done through the decoder and do the decoders have to have a sound option (higher price)?

Yea I am watching the thread Digitrax vs. NCE USB Adapter .Becouse my lap top is only usb.Is it true on the first post he put up there?I am trying to get all the input I can too make sure I make smart choice.For growing bigger and just does more then the other one.

Jason

I'm just like you, Jason. I plan on buying either an NCE or Digitrax unit this spring. Right now, I'm leaning toward buying an NCE unit because of the tethered control. Both starter sets seem to be pretty much equal in price, capability, quality and expandibility. Someone please correct me if my understanding is wrong in some respect.

What would any of you, as an owner/user, say is the best and the worst thing you've encountered with your units?

You can have a tethered control with Digitrax as well.

Sound is all done through the decoders. Function buttons are done through the throttle. The system only relays the commands.

I sold a Super Empire Builder system and a bunch of throttles, radio gear, and other accessories, mostly because plans for a large home layout were scrapped. I have had my Powercab for about 2 years. I have never had a bad experience with it, or found something it would not do. I have not used a Zephyr so I can't comment. I'm sure someone will though. Both systems are good ones. After using both I did notice that the NCE system is more intuitive, at least for me. YMMV. ;)

My understanding is that a tethered control is standard with the NCE starter set but would be an additional expense for the Digitrax starter set. This is not the first time I've heard about NCE being more intuitive. To me, that would be a BIG plus! Thanks, guys. Any more pros or cons anybody would care to add?

What about the post on the digitrax and the nce on the usb? Being that I run a laptop that only has usb ports.

Jason K

I have both a Digitrax Super Chief Extra and an NCE PowerCab. Both are fine systems and each have their own quirks. I went Digitrax for my HO layout as I intend to automate that with Railroad & Co TrainController software and Loconet has NCE beat hands down in that area in my opinion. The NCE PowerCab USB adapter is not fully functional in that area and has some significant limitations. It works fine for decoder programming and such but not well for automation. Even the larger NCE Powerhouse systems only support the archaic 9-pin serial connection for computer interfacing, which none of my computers even support any longer. They really need a full-function USB command station.

As for Digitrax, the method of operations is quirky, the documentation is not nearly as good as NCE and the handheld throttle looks rather amateurish compared to the NCE design. It's also not as comfortable to hold. It does, however, allow you to monitor and control 2 locos at one time, without having to use any sort of recall function like the NCE. The Digitrax throttle is not particularly intuitive; the NCE is a snap to learn.

It's all really personal preference tho - I'd take that hobby shop up on the chance to see both in action, or check local model railroad clubs and see if you can find owners of both systems. One thing I will say about the Zephyr is I never considered that because of its fixed location nature. I wanted walk-around throttles of some kind.

Back