Digitrax DSC 50 problem

oplholik

I am trying to get my DSC up and running and today I wanted to get the new Kato DCC loco going. I cleaned the track on my test board, connected it to the dcs, A track wire to A track connection, and the same for B track. With the loco on the track I wanted to find out which address was in the decoder. All I could get was an error(d nd) which means an open circuit on the track. So something is not right, and I really don't know where to go from here. Help! I did look in the manual and one of the problems could be decoder not installed properly. I don't mind taking the cover off the engine to look at it, but it's not like I'd know if the decoder is installed properly or not. Maybe there are easier things to check and try first? Thanks.

Check for continuity between the decoder and the engines wheels. you may have a broken wire in there somewhere.

I think I am going to contact Model Train Stuff tomorrow. I want them to check it out. As this is new, I don't want to tear into it and mess something up.
I tried another DCC loco, and got the same thing, however that loco hasn't been run in 6-7 years but worked the last time I did use it, so I don't know what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The decoder interrogation mode only works on the programming track and appropriate connections to the PROG A and B on the DCS50. As a technique, I hook the program mode up to a short piece of track, separate from the main line.

My test track is a separate 3' piece. So you are saying I should have that hooked up to Program A&B rather than Rail A&B on the DCS? This would be for all programming of the loco?

Ok, yeah I see that now, DOH! I was skipping around too much in the manual, and totally missed that. Thanks.

Yup. I ran into that same problem. I think the manual is written for engineers. And while Tech Support is fast to respond to inquiries, they need to dumb things down some so I can understand them!

I've been reading the pertaining part of the manual a little more carefully before having another go at it.

Back