Digitrax and Hurricane Michael!

N

NP2626

On October 11th, 2018 Hurricane Michael hit Panama City Florida, the home of Digitrax INC. The companies headquarters there were severely damaged by the storm. Although the company has been able to remain in communication with it's customers, it's ability to manufacture products and provide service has been cut off since October 11th. The company has finally started to produce products again and has started taking in repair work as of the end of February. However, I have been told that turn around times can take 3 to 4 months to have an item returned, due to the back log of repairs received and the problems with their facility.

I'm sure if you are a Digitrax user, you are aware of this disaster for Digitrax INC. Last spring, I decided to sell my Digitrax Zephyr on Ebay and up-grade to the Digitrax Zephyr Xtra. It took me a while to understand that my new Zephyr Xtra would not program in any mode and that service was in order. Through Digitrax's Help Desk I was able to make a determination that I had a problem. The determination occured right around the time that the Hurricane hit Digitrax INC.

If you are a Digitrax user, you need to be aware that they have suffered a major set back and are working as hard as they can to remedy the situation! Since I purchased my Digitrax Zephyr Xtra on May 2nd, 2018, I need to return it to the factory for repairs before May 2nd, 2019. I plan to do so in mid April, since I do not mess around with my layout over the summer months, this works out best for me.

I have not seen any notifications on Digitrax's problem here; so, felt this notification was necessary!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when I originally got a DCS51, it had some issues. They told me there was an online update that could be downloaded and applied to the unit. Can you check with them, and see if the "fix" for yours is something you can do electronically?

I have communicated with the Digitrax Help Desk many, many times since this situation occurred. They have never suggested an electronic fix for me.

There a rather dated Digitrax update about the business after the storm damage on Digitrax's home page that's dated December 15, 2018.

Greg

Dated and hard to find due to all the other "stuff" found on the home page!

Superstorm Sandy, was back in October 2012, and seven years later, there are still businesses and homeowners who are displaced and fighting with FEMA and Insurance Carriers over settlements. It's not surprising that Digitrax would still be distressed. Hopefully, they will get back to where they were pre "Michael", in short order. Their products were good and support was excellent before the storm.

Boris

my First post.. I have been waiting 6 months for my DCC unit. If the business I was in did this I would be making concessions as to at what time frame I close the doors.. Just not acceptable in any market.

can anybody provide me an update.. it might be time to cancel the order and go with a different unit.

Regards

Mike

Wow...Mike that is a long time to wait for an order! What Digitrax product did you order? Did you try calling Digitrax for an answer since with all the changing and rebuilding as a result of the hurricane your order could of been misplaced or even lost.

I have had good telephone service replies from Digitrax with tech questions that I had with Digitrax products.

Greg

Yes.. I asked via email, I did not call.. BUT.. they had no answer for me. Not sure what is next. I have never owned a DCC unit. Our local club uses DigiTrax so it seems like a good fit.. BUT.. not sure its worth the wait.

Thank you for responding. I VERY much understand the trials of "bad things happen" but this does not give me a warm feeling.

Mike

Natural disasters are just that for those affected! It is sad for the victims, as well as their customers. Unfortunately, if your requirement don't jibe with the ability of the vendor's capabilities, you may have no other choice than to go elsewhere. If you are looking for DCC equipment, may I suggest NCE? I am not overly educated in DCC, but have had good luck with the NCE Power Cab with a Booster.

Our local club uses DigiTrax so it seems like a good fit.. BUT.. not sure its worth the wait.
Hi Mike -

Several of the better online dealers show Digitrax products as in stock. I'm no expert in Digitrax, and I don't know which products you need, but some dealers seem still to have some Digitrax stuff.

- Jeff

I just replaced my Zephyr Xtra with the new Zephyr Express which came out last month or so. So production is up and running at Digitrax.

I know the LHS is able to and HAS been getting the Zephyr.. I would like the Evolution without Radio.. I for the life of me cannot find one. I dont understand it.. I see them listed for under 400 bucks but they are not in stock

Then.. IF ANY body reading this (re-seller) has one for under 400 bucks, can prove it, and is willing to take my money.... LET ME KNOW.. Cripes.. I am getting tired of this..

Or.. maybe.. Is the MRC unit any good?..

Mike

Back