Different Application, Same Crappy Plastic!

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Anybody here remember the cracked gear problem on LifeLike Proto2000 BL2's, GP7/9's, GP30's and a few of their other 4-axle models? The gears cracked because the center hole was just a wee bit too narrow for the axle to fit thru it, and as the plastic aged, it became brittle and cracked.

Well, I think the manufacturer of the cable clamps I used to suspend the various wires and cables crisscrossing under my benchwork, must have used the same type of plastic. While I was under the layout working on another project, I discovered several of them had cracked and let go of the cables they were supposed to be holding. These were all the ones where the cable had fit somewhat snugly inside them when I fastened them in 5 years ago. I replaced them with translucent white plastic ones that were of the next-size diameter. Here is a failed clamp and its replacement:

FailedCableClampWithReplacement.jpg

I suppose a professional electrician would already know about this potential problem and avoid fitting them too tight. But this is the first time I've learned about it, and I figured I should probably share about it since the same thing may be happening under your own layouts as well...

Yup I had the same problems with both the gears and the cable clamps.
As a matter of fact I replaced my clamps with the same ones you did!

Probably made from recycled plastic. One of the things that seems to occur with some recycled products, is the material degrades each time it goes through the process.

I used screw eyes and Cable ties, no problems after 30 years.

Back