Differences in various F units.

Iron Horseman

Need some advice y'all, so I thought I'd consult my favorite panel of experts first. I have 2 N scale F9 As. The problem that I'm finding is that one of the roads I model ran [sic didn't run] the F9, but they did run the F7. Now here's my questions. Is it worth my time to try to convert an F9 to an F7? Or just look for F7 shells to fit the chassis? Are the differences in details enough to be noticed by anyone other than hardcore rivet counters?
. The only guaranteed distinction between an F9 and an F7 is the presence of a body vent to the front of the forward port hole. F9s have them F7s don't. So I would say, "No, not many people would even notice that difference". However there is a much bigger issue with the F7s. F9s are way different from early F7s. They have 48" dynamic brake fans, where the F7s only had 36". That difference would smack one in the face, especially since we look at them mostly from the top.

So it really depends upon what the F7s of the road in question looked like. If the F7s have the large dynamic brake and vertical slit stainless grill, then 99% of people would never notice if you substituted an F9. If the F7s have the small dynamic brake; with horizontal slit, not stainless grills they will look wrong, and anyone who knows anything about Fs will notice.

Last edited:

Back