Diesel Tsunami video from NTS at Model Railroad Hobbyist

Jeff, nice video but I must say I'm a bit underwhelmed with the Tsunami diesel sound. The horn and bell sounds were much too loud compared to the prime mover and the prime mover didn't sound much like any real EMD F unit I've heard. Maybe it sounds better in person.

We didn't have a great audio environment there, much less a great mike - it's okay for vocal, but it's not high-end.

As for the horn and bell sounds, they sounded like any sound decoder I've dealt with out of the box - the first thing I do is turn the horn down and the bell to "almost off" (bells irritate me).

I do wish we could have had him go through the different horn sounds available, but I think that's a programming track job.

Wow, now that actually SOUNDS real. Exactly why I want Tsunami sound. Much better then what my BLI & T55 units sound like. Not as muted out. I'll never know the full potential until I get my own DCC system though.

I do have to agree that the bell & horn were really loud, though, in any case the horn should be ungodly loud...

Thanks for the video, makes me want to order one even more. Just wonder how a smaller speaker will sound when is jammed into a narrow hood.

I'm looking at the "ported" speakers offered by Railmaster Hobbies (corrected: http://www.railmasterhobbies.com/) - they had a booth at the National Train Show and, perhaps by coincidence, were reviewed with a Loksound decoder in the Model Railroad News issue that was handed out for free at the show as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounded dam good to me. Reminds me of the NYSW's GP18's that roamed down here in NJ.

Can anyone explain why Athearn said they will no long have genesis but all RTR rolling stock? Also what are those beer can tankers for? They're so cute :p

That sounded dam good to me. Reminds me of the NYSW's GP18's that roamed down here in NJ.

Can anyone explain why Athearn said they will no long have genesis but all RTR rolling stock? Also what are those beer can tankers for? They're so cute :p
Quality of the RTR is the same. Leaving off the Genesis trucks & airlines can save some money.

Those shorty tank cars are used for very heavy liquid loads like molten sulpher and even honey. Longer cars would exceed track limits if filled. Because of their size, weight, and center of gravity, there have been a number of derailment problems with these cars and some railroads won't handle them at all. Those that do require they be placed either as the fisrt car or cars behind the locomotives or between two loaded tanks cars at least 50 feet long.

If that is what the decoder sounds like, I want to know what the GE ones will sound like. It'd be great to have the chug at run 8 and the whine down of the turbo from run 5 down to 3!

Last edited by a moderator:
Corrected webpage

THe correct webpage for RailMaster Hobbies is www.railmasterhobbies.com
Yes, it was a great coincidence that the speaker review came out in the July issue. It could not have been better if I had planned it. The bass reflex speakers are great and well received by all that purchase them We have added to our speaker line, we have added a 28mm square high bass speaker.

Jeff Smith
RailMaster Hobbies
Lakewood, CA
www.railmasterhobbies.com

I'm looking at the "ported" speakers offered by Railmaster Hobbies (www.railmaster.com) - they had a booth at the National Train Show and, perhaps by coincidence, were reviewed with a Loksound decoder in the Model Railroad News issue that was handed out for free at the show as well.

Back