Diesel transition period?

I was hopeing for late 70s.
Still it would have been posible to see my gp40 and the f7 I want on the same track. If it was a new early GP40.

Maybe I'll just buy and run what I want. Who cares if it's true.

I think I remember seeing that run on the Bugtussle division, between April 9th and 11th in 1977?
Or maybe not!

Or, how about an excursion run?

Precisely!! That is just how I feel. I do want to stay fairly close to protypical, but when it all comes down to it, it;s my railroad, so I will run it how I want to!!:D

I'd just run 'em and not worry about it. F units ran on some US railroads well into the 70's, and were common on Canadian and Mexican roads into the 80's.

Well you figure the first diesel switchers came out in the 30's. The late 40's and into the 50's saw the introduction of Geeps, and cowl units. There's STILL F's & E's running to this day. There's derivatives of them too (CF7).

I'd just run 'em and not worry about it. F units ran on some US railroads well into the 70's, and were common on Canadian and Mexican roads into the 80's.

Yup - VIA FP9s were running right passenger service through to the mid nineties. There even was one in BC still doing switching duties in 2004!

Mark

If I recall corectly I remember seeing the BN E9s? pulling CTA or metra rail cars in the early late 80s-early 90s? does that sound right?

i remember seeing the LIRR running F units off my grandmas terrace in Queens New York in the early 70s. those are the only ones ive ever seen in service. i love F units, and even though im modeling the 1990s, i have 2 F-units that Ill be using just because its such a classic American design.

I found it. All the proof I need. From 1979
Guy claimed that the F7s rode better than the new GP40s so the enginers would put them out front if they could.

Some people stay to an exact prototype and are very critical which gets expensive. Some hit an era and try to stay close. Remember it is your creation and your world you are building and you make the rules. Remember to have fun with it and do what you want.

I model a railroad somewhere between the 40s and 70s depending on which way you are looking. I only run steam and I love old rolling stock. I am trying to get all older vehicles and buildings and whatever, however things are expensive and I use what I have. If I see something I like and can afford then I replace the things that dont quite fit and ebay then for my next thing I see that I want.

I have one guy that shows up once a year. Once he said you have mostly Pennsylvania, NS, NYC and Western Maryland rolling stock. It looks funny to have sante fe and western railroads running in the 50s. I said I like them so I run them. The next time he came back and said I hadnt made it any better. My answer that time was that it was my world and all the rolling stock was leased from all over the country.

Good Luck and Remember to have Fun

New York Central's RS3's

I’m not sure what happened to all the New York Central’s F3's. When I started working there in 1969 they were all gone as far as I can remember. We had plenty of RS’3 though. Where did they all go?

NYC_George

BN Es were running in Chicago commuter service in the late 80s (I saw 'em) and probably 90s. Not exactly mainline use, but when you own the railroad, it's your rules....

Still it would have been posible to see my gp40 and the f7 I want on the same track. If it was a new early GP40.

That's how I feel. In my basement I run An AC6000 and 4-8-2 steamer the same time. Other times I'll run a SD40-2 and an 80 ton shay the same time. :D

Back