Diesel Servicing Facility questions

Yannis

Hi all,

I am planning an extension of my layout to include a small diesel maintenance / servicing facility. It spurs off the ladder of my main yard* and it includes 4-5 parallel tracks. The plan is that 3 tracks end up inside a walthers diesel shop which i have ordered, while 1-2 tracks are left in the open.

The 3 tracks inside the shop hold 6 engines in total, while outside the shop I got space for spotting another 5-7 locomotives (1 in track #1, 2-3 in track #2 and 2-3 in track #3.) I plan to have 1-2 sanding towers and fueling/water/oil pads in between track #2 and #3.

Track #4 would act as some sort of ready track (capacity 5-6 locomotives). Track #5 if added will result in less usable length for track 4 (due to the turnout added) and thus boost locomotive capacity in both tracks to 8 locomotives.

The idea is that the shop performs inspection and light /medium maintenance (as described in the walthers' instructions) and possibly holds some helper locomotives available for use.

Do i need more than one track in the open to act as a ready track? Trying for a less is more approach that avoids unrealistic spaghetti bowls so i am between 3+1 and 3+2 track options (3 corresponds to the 3 tracks that lead inside the diesel shop). Feel free to even propose 3+0 :).

With respect to operations in the facility, I got loads of questions unfortunately... but i am waiting for a relevant book “guide to locomotive servicing terminals” to arrive to shed some light first. Up until then though I am wondering if a locomotive after being inspected/repaired inside the diesel shop, and after being topped up with fuel/sand, should it definitely move to ready track(s) or it could stay on the service pad outside the shop and depart from there when needed? (the latter would result in less needed capacity from my ready tracks).

Thank you very much for your time!
Yannis

*Many thanks for the eye-opening insights previously provided by Iron Horseman. These insights helped me manage to extend the yard lead so that I can “free” road locomotives in order to go to the service area and make my yard operate more efficiently.

PS. Having studied the topic for the last few weeks, I understand that many similar facilities are double ended so there is a linear service pattern, but unfortunately i only got room for single ended engine yard/facility.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're not running a large layout, for instance a large terminal such as the UP has in Nebraska, not a lot is really necessary. Fuel, sand and water are the necessities. You could probably get away with one ready track unless you have a lot of locomotives moving through needing service. Get on google earth and check out different railroads and you'll see not a lot is necessary. They are rather simple. A one or two stall building might be added for locomotive servicing. You should have a track for tank cars to unload diesel fuel into a service tank, or a track for a tank car to be parked for fueling locomotives. Sanding facilities can be at the fuel track.

I and modeling the transition era and service both steam and diesels and I only have two service tracks. One is set up for steam, but diesels can also be serviced on that track and one other strictly set up for diesels. I have a turn table and round house, but a track to a service building can replace all of this.

0001.jpg

Chet, many thanks for the reply (and great photo by the way!).

I did review several real-world service areas and i am far from modeling something like the Barstow shops which are my prime inspiration with respect to the style of the facility. I know that i could even have a single spur with a sanding truck and fueling truck doing the servicing, but i really like having a shop on the layout (must-have items) and a slightly bigger service area as a focal point (hence me ordering the walthers diesel shop which is a 3-stall building). The extension of the layout i am making will give me a 2x4 space to work on (2x5 if i take into account the space for the yard ladder). I am attaching a plan of what i am having in mind.
Plan_ServiceArea.jpg

In my opinion, unless you have a lot of locomotives or are planning a major extension of your layout, you should have plenty of room with your present plan. Locomotives for "through" trains can be staged with their trains in the staging yards and exchanged "on the fly", for more activity.

Willie

In my opinion, unless you have a lot of locomotives or are planning a major extension of your layout, you should have plenty of room with your present plan. Locomotives for "through" trains can be staged with their trains in the staging yards and exchanged "on the fly", for more activity.

Willie

Willie, with the "present plan" you mean the one i have posted? (3+1 tracks facility?). Speaking of expansion, I plan to expand the layout in a different house in the future.

Yes I was indicating the plan posted. Another turnout is all that is needed to add another ready track to this plan. By the time the future rolls around you will have bigger and better plans, not that there is anything wrong with this one.

Willie

Thanks Willie for the input! Having the plan as is (with 4 tracks) leaves more room for aisles in my current setup. And indeed, in the future, i might extend the whole service area in a totally different way given different available room space and more experience (you are totally right about the future and bigger and better plans...thanks for the advice!)

One thing I do see a need for in the current plan is a service track for fuel, unless you'll be unloading fuel and sand at one of the servicing docks.

One thing I do see a need for in the current plan is a service track for fuel, unless you'll be unloading fuel and sand at one of the servicing docks.

Chet, i have in mind to use a leftover spur that comes towards the diesel house at almost a 90 degree angle (it is already installed on the layout since it was meant for an industry). It is labeled "fuel/sand unloading" and it has a couple of tanks and a sand box next to it. I guess piping would be used to send sand and fuel towards the servicing pads right?

The sand tower is a Walthers kit. Eric also has the same kit. They're a pain to put together for me as I have to use a magnifier now, but they do look decent when built.

Andy, you mean a RIP track added to the yard or the engine facility?

All three are usually very near each other. Rip tracks & engine facilities are usually right next to each other. If you're modeling a real RR & location look at aerial photos of those locations. If your layout is freelance looking at those will give you info on where they can be located.

All three are usually very near each other. Rip tracks & engine facilities are usually right next to each other. If you're modeling a real RR & location look at aerial photos of those locations. If your layout is freelance looking at those will give you info on where they can be located.

Thanks Andy, i am modeling a fictional location somewhere north of LA, with a theoretical rail connection between SF and LA (can change though to the LA-San Diego line....), i will look into the possibility of adding the RIP track (maybe the 4th open track will act as RIP/MOW track and leave the three tracks leading to the diesel shop as ready tracks / service tracks).

Back