diaphragms for HO Bachmann Amtrak Amfleet Passenger Cars

eas1888

I need some good judgement / advice for this one. I am planning to model Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited train out of Boston South Station. My assist will be 1 Amtrak P-42 phase V Locomotive, 1 Budd Baggage Car, and 5 Amfleet Cars made by Bachmann. I notice that Bachmann Amfleet Cars' diaphragms are not painted black, they are silver and are not the prototype look. So my question is does anyone know what I can do to either replace them and if any manufacturer makes diaphragms for Amfleet cars ? Or do they look appropriate and I should just leave them be ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you prefer...walthers amfleet r bachmann amfleet cars ? im trying to make my set as real as possible !!!!!!!!!!!

I think Walthers has better detailing but you pay for it. The Bachmann cars look good also, the details just aren't as delicate or as extensive as the Walthers cars. If you have the budget, go for the Walthers cars.

to be honest I was kind of feeling the same way but I just wanted the phase V Amfleet cars . do you think eventually Walthers will come out with a new phase V for their amfleet and horizon cars ?

Actually I have an 8 car set of the Bachmann in the Acela phase 5 paint with the Blue stripe and small Acela logo as you see today, that seems to be the only correct paint job Bachmann did on these cars. Having both the walthers and Bachmanns I can say that the paint jobs on the Bachmann or worse then Walthers for Phase 2,3,4, and older Acela with the bubbles on the cars, all the lettering looks way to big on the Bachmanns requiring stripping and repainting them.

As for accuracy of the cars the Bachmann cars are more accurate then the Walthers as far as the car cross section goes. I am also planning to model the Lake Shore boston section but from the earlier Phase 3 days when the F40PH's were still used along with the new P40's as I have many pics of the train in Springfield, MA when they were doing Roadrailers there.

As for the diphragms I painted the smaller part black leaving the striker plate silver on the end and the inside silver as well. I also body mounted Kadee couplers moving them in a little to have the diaphragms touch each other all the time with no gap.

If you want to model todays lake shore then all you actually need is a Walthers 1700 series baggage car, 2 coaches, and 1 Cafe. At least thats what I see most of the time lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you dont mind can you send me a pic of your set of Acela cars ??? And also I am from Boston and I usually see the Lake Shore Limited every once in a while at South Station. But I usuall see just 1 P-42, and 5 Amfleet Cars. But since you have more knowledge than I do what would you recommend me getting for my Lake Shore Limited model. And one more question, could I possibly use a phase IV P-42 for my model ??? Thanks

Back