DH104 manual

Wastrel

Does anyone have a manual for a DH104 system one decoder? I have a couple older engines with 104's in them and am trying to figure out the lights.

Is that a Digitrax decoder? If so, you can contact Digitrax and they will fax or e-mail instructions for just about any decoder they ever made.

OK, I didn't connect the SystemOne name until you included Wangrow. Unfortunately, Dan Wangrow died of cancer in 2003 and his company died with him. They closed up shop at the end of 2003 and there's no longer any web site or on-line documentation. Wangrow and NCE worked closely together to develop throttles and decoders in the early days of DCC so there's a chance they may have some of the documentation for these early SystemOne decoders.

I know, hence the need for a manual. I inadvertantly tossed mine apparently and was hoping that someone would have one buried on one of their shelves that they could scan for me. Jim at NCE doesn't maintain any of the Wangrow documentation. Can't say as I blame him. I've tried the JMRI programmer but apparently their info on the decoder is just as slim as mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I tried the settings for the 104, no luck. Will have to check out the yahoo group for the wangrow.

Good luck with your hunt. I was an armchair modeler when Dan was developing what we now know as DCC and followed his work with great interest. It was a real loss to the hobby when he died. He's kind of a forgotten father of DCC now but the fact those old decoders still work with DCC today shows how well he understood the value of standardization.

Well,enough is enough. I finally gave up and ripped out the decoders and replaced them with some good ones. As far as I'm concerned these things are only fit to be used as basic decoders. The lack of documentation leaves me with little choice. So, in the junk bin they go to be used on something that doesn't require effects.

I was afraid that would be the outcome but I wouldn't put them in the junk bin. 20 years from now, those things may be really collectible.

Back