Dewalt chalk line chalk

Olie

I just finished the CVMW 1820 bridge and was looking to paint and then weather. it. I needed to pick up some vent hose for the paint booth when I find Dewalt chalk. In red, black and orange. $1.39 for 8 oz bottle. Hell, why not. The red is a good color for rust, obviously the black is black but the orange.....is bright neon orange. Anyway, once I finish weathering the bridge I will post some pics but so far I'm pleased with the chalk. I was bat nervous at first as the red comes in two types, regular and permanent. They only had permanent.

Anyway, anyone else try these chalks before?

Can't say I have or heard of anyone else using Chalk Line Dust but at the end of the day it is chalk so it should work well. Interesting to se what you think and how it all looks.

Here are some pics before spray the matte clear coat. Im hoping the the clear will dull down some the color. The bridge was painted with Model Masters neutral grey and the track was sprayed with krylon weathered wood. Heading to the spray booth now to shoot the clear. More pics to come. Keep your fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 20180514_183331.jpg
    20180514_183331.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 20180514_183410.jpg
    20180514_183410.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 327
  • 20180514_183416.jpg
    20180514_183416.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 328
  • 20180514_183527.jpg
    20180514_183527.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 346
Hope that the matte coat doesn't reduce the effect of your excellent weathering. I have seen that happen when using chalk (I use it a lot) instead of commercial weathering powder.

Willie

So, here's after spraying the clear. After reading about a lot of people having their chalk dull or ever blow off, I thought this would do something similar. Maybe it's because the red is permanent but the black stayed in place just as well. The lighting may be a bit too strong but the areas I weathered to show the smoke stains didn't change much at all. Truth be told, I've never weathered with chalks before. I like what I see but I have a long way to go. Well, let me have your opinions.

Attachments

• Clear matte (1).jpg
    Clear matte (1).jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 321
  • Clear matte (2).jpg
    Clear matte (2).jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 314
  • Clear matte (3).jpg
    Clear matte (3).jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 349
  • Clear matte (4).jpg
    Clear matte (4).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Clear matte (6).jpg
    Clear matte (6).jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 300
  • Clear matte (7).jpg
    Clear matte (7).jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Clear matte (8).jpg
    Clear matte (8).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 308
  • Clear matte (9).jpg
    Clear matte (9).jpg
    236 KB · Views: 313
  • Clear matte (10).jpg
    Clear matte (10).jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 302
That's showing some promising results. Wonder if you do several more layers in spots to get that built up rust look.
I was thinking the same to include going over the black as well. One end has good coverage but the other seems light. Some how I ordered 2 of this bridge so I have another one I can build. I was thinking of doing the painting and weathering prior to building so I can get more detailed. All in all tho, for $1.39 8oz bottle of chalk, I think I have a keeper.

Here's my finished bridge. The pictures don't really show the colors too well, probably washed out by the LEDs and it's my phone camera. Anyway, I like the way it looks but I know more could have been done. For my first real weathering of a structure and using different chalks then normal, I can't complain. I have the N Scale Architects Union City Station to build next so hopefully I can learn more there as well.

Attachments

• Finished (3).jpg
    Finished (3).jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 314
  • Finished (4).jpg
    Finished (4).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 299
  • Finished (5).jpg
    Finished (5).jpg
    102 KB · Views: 311
  • Finished (6).jpg
    Finished (6).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 312
Late to the thread but I love how the bridge turned out. I will definitely be using chalk line chalk.

That really looks just right, have to look for that chalk. I've used other brands for marking out floor slabs and it does take a lot of time to dissipate, even after being rained on several times. Didn't know it came in 2 types. The fact that dullcoting didn't destroy it is a big advantage. But one thing to watch out for. Don't knock the open container over.

It really did work out well for what I used it for and there are several colors to choose from. I eventually went with Bragdon Enterprises color kit but I would use the chalk line powders again. One thing to note, if memory serves, I did mix in some black with the red to get the color I wanted.

Nice weathering and great job on the bridge. The bridge looks like it could been posted as one of Chet's rail photo's.

How do your hands cleanup form the caulk powder?

Greg

Nice weathering and great job on the bridge. The bridge looks like it could been posted as one of Chet's rail photo's.

How do your hands cleanup form the caulk powder?

Greg
Thank you for the kind words. I am very pleased as to how well it turned out. My wife says I spend too much time on the intricate details. If memory serves, the chalk cleaned up fairly easily with soap and water. I don't recall there being much of a "mess" as I went slowly and did a little bit at a time. I use construction paper from a large roll as a drop cloth so when I'm done I just fold it up and dispose. I would think the only powder that might stain a little would be the permanent chalk but again, I don't recall there being much of an issue.

Back