Demonstrator units in road use?

kylewoody

Hey guys,

Just had a quick question - I've noticed several photos before of the factory painted demo locomotives being mixed in with regular Class 1 locos. Like say for instance, the white and blue EMD GP50 or GP60 I think it is.

How does this work? I thought I read somewhere, that a company within themselves just orders demo paint schemes, and then leases them out - and railroad will use them when necessary?

I was just wondering, because I thought it would be cool to run on my layout - but didn't how it worked.

Like here: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=244961

Kyle

EMD has two different ways it handles "demonstrators". One is when EMD has a new model and sends it on a trip around the country so railroads can "test drive" them. They usually keep them for a few weeks and then they move on to another railroad. The most common thing railfans see today is Oakway leased units, with the SD-60 being the most common. These have a slightly different scheme than the real demonstrator units and carry an Oakway Leasing name in small letters on the cab. Railroads lease these on a "power by the hour" basis, with the BN/BNSF being the major lessor. There are 100 of these SD-60's in service, mostly on BNSF coal trains although they can be seen almost anywhere on the system. The two in the picture you linked to are both Oakway Leasing units so they aren't really demonstrators even though the paint schemes would make them seem to be.

Back