Deleted for now

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
A pickle is usually a younger or immature cucumber and picked early in life. Depending on how the pickle in question is canned or preserved is how you get different varieties of the product.

Like Max I love pickles, but can't eat a cucumber or even tolerate the distinct smell of a cucumber.

Deep fried pickles are a local appetizer at Central Wisconsin restaurants and bars.

My wife's Grandmother use to make preserved pickles that she use bright green food coloring to add color the pickles. I never could eat one of those bright green critters.

Now to beets, Patrick near my home there was a canning company, Mammoth Springs Canning Company, that once was the largest beet packer in the United States. The process water went into a pond in a former limestone quarry on the site and the water turned "beet" red for months. Not a practice I would think would be allow under today's EPA standards. The final canned product was shipped by truck and in box cars on the former Milwaukee Road's "Bug Line" and by the SOO Line.

Greg

#############################

1574355842025.png

The early photo of the Mammoth Springs Canning Company in the early 1900's in Sussex, Wisconsin. The company started in the 1880's and I knew anestors of the founding family of the cannery.-Greg

1574356067262.png

The Kewpie label was made famous by the Mammoth Springs Canning Company. They also canned peas and corn when in season.-Greg

Patrick

Beats me how we went from Pickles to Beets...

IIRC, there used to be a beet processing plant in NW Kansas in the 70's into the early mid-80's. They used to grow beets in eastern Colorado, western Kansas. I don't think they do any longer though.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Beats me how we went from Pickles to Beets...

IIRC, there used to be a beet processing plant in NW Kansas in the 70's into the early mid-80's. They used to grow beets in eastern Colorado, western Kansas. I don't think they do any longer though.
Pickled beets is how we went from pickles to beets.

max diyer

Patrick : watermelon rind is good
. . . but the most intrusive of all (at least for me) is pickled pigs feet!
When I was of single digit age, we went to visit our aunt and uncle. Of course, she put out sandwich fixings for us. There was a jar and I asked what it was. My aunt pulled one out and stuck it in my face. I just about lost my lunch! I quickly excused myself and ran outside. I could hear everyone laughing. :mad:

max diyer

Rico - that must be your favorite sock or it's the one that you hang on the mantle for Christmas or your one of those people who have to wear a sock on each foot. ;):)

Last edited:

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.