Decoder for Miller Engineering Signs

Olie

I have a Miller Engineering sign and am powering it from track power through a Converter module. I have been trying to figure out how to wire a decoder in to control turning the sign on and off. The lighting decoders I've found are for controlling individual LEDs, not act as a track power switch. I can't seem to find a simple decoder to do this, any suggestions?

All I can think of is an older style decoder with the power coming from the light output wire?
Maybe something used to control signals might work.
There's a member here named hobbytronics, I'm sure he'll have an idea!

accessory light power decoders are limited to 100ma on the white or yellow wire...if you go over that chances are good they will blow up ....
if you use a standard decoder, it will need a resistor across the motor leads to function properly ..
by the way, make sure they output 12 volt, some are only 1.5 volt, good place for a multimeter

I'm not familair with them, but could you use an Arduino to control the Miller sign? Or a stationary decoder for turnouts?

Just two ideas to toss around.

Greg

I have a Miller window sign in a structure that I control with a toggle switch on one of my layout's control panels.

Greg

I thought about the toggle switch but this track is my ceiling track so it would require running the wiring down to a switch. I was hoping to be able to control it via DCC. Might have to look at the arduino set up too.

so how much does the sign draw ??
<100ma. light wire >100ma ..relay
It took some searching but from what I can tell, the AC adapter to power the signs puts out 4.5V at 300ma. Says it will power up to 3 signs. If this is the case, then I simply need to provide 4.5V DC at approx. 100ma to run a single sign. Correct?

yes, through a resistor to drop the 12 volt [from the decoder board] to 4.5 volt DC
i would verify current draw with a multi meter first though ..

Powering accessories from the track is usually a really bad idea. It draws power from the trains and adds a potential short that can affect the trains.

Powering accessories from the track is usually a really bad idea. It draws power from the trains and adds a potential short that can affect the trains.
Normally I would agree but in this case, I don't have much choice. This is a ceiling track so power supplies are limited. Besides, it only draws 95ma

Update:
I wired in a TCS FL2 decoder and it works flawlessly. The output on the FL2 is 12V at 100ma. Running directly from the decoder to the Miller Engineering converter module which drops the current to 4.5V. Function 1 now controls the signs via DCC.

I have several Miller signs and I don't want to run a new buss line for their power and using batteries is expensive. Using a separate power supply is also out of the question.

I may tap into my Woodland Scenics buss line that powers the LED's on the layout since it runs from end to end. Should be simple to detemine the buss line's voltage and use the correct resistor size.

Greg

Back