DCC Wiring

idiot

N scale 42"x42" DCC layout attatched file. 11" and 19" radius curves. Atlas #6 manual turnouts. NCE Power Cab DCC system. There is only one wire from the NCE to the track; is that wire to connect to a wire block and wires on the wire block to the track? I don't see any reverse loops. The inner circle will be used for two sidings (one on each half of the circle. Do I need any insulated areas(at turnouts?) How many wire connections to the track do I need, and where? If it's too complicated to mark on the attachment layout on this forum and someone could copy the attached layout, mark the connections on it , and mail it to me, I would VERY MUCH appreciate it and wouldn't wire it wrong. THANK YOU, Norman Seifert,1327-A Lenoir Drive, Shelby, NC 28150.

Attachments

• IMG_20190126_0001.pdf
    577.9 KB · Views: 245
On a layout this small, one set of wires to the track is probably fine. If it were mine, I would to a little overkill and run a pair of wires to each loop. I would put the wire feeds at the point end of one of the turnouts in each loop.
simple wiring.jpg

Idiot, I'm no hot-shot electics guy. But I see no polarity conflicts anywhwere. When you say "There is only one wire from the NCE to the track", I hope you mean one set of wires (+- current) to the track. Anyway, those 2 wires can be connected to the track anywhere as long as your switches (TOs) are 'all- live' type and not 'power-routing' type. Since you say they are Atlas switches, they are 'all-live'. So in your case I'd say you can place the 2 leads anywhere and your PCab will work fine.. And if all your rail-joiners are snug you don't need feeders on this tiny pike... You're set to go..
One nit pick: Does it matter to you that this layout has no connection to a neighboring RR ? You can, if you like, add one switch from say, the R or L side outer loop, just above or below either of the existing switches and run it all the way to the top or bottom of table. It can be insulated from rest and be a dummy track. If powered it would not have a bumper on the end. But you could have a tunnel portal in a corner hill as a visual trick (with hidden bumper) and spot a couple cars on it as if an interchange track...

Last edited by a moderator:
You may need insulated rail joiners between turnouts (switches) that have the frog ends facing each other. If you experience shorts without them, then you may need to do it that way. The feeder wires shown in the diagram should work okay.

You may need insulated rail joiners between turnouts (switches) that have the frog ends facing each other. If you experience shorts without them, then you may need to do it that way. The feeder wires shown in the diagram should work okay.
I don't believe with 'all live' switches, if not in a wye, or the single one used in a balloon track/reverse loop, require insulators. If that were true, he'd also then need a polarity flipping track section between them so poles match up, entering and leaving this flip section, via a DPDT toggle (with that corner to corner-post X wiring) or via a HexFrog Juicer.... But I don't think so in this particular track plan..I don't see any pole conflicts here...

Back