DCC Track Gap Question

ianacole

Running NCE DCC. In the attached plan, I've marked where I plan on putting in the gaps in my track (red lines), bridging the gaps with some ARUs. Do these look like the most ideal places? Should I plan on including more gaps within the area and adding ARUs?
Thanks!
Ian

NewLayout-V5-Breaks-sm33.jpg

Hi. I may be wrong but..There are 2 kinds of switches [TOs], All-Live and Power-routing..That's it.. If you employ Insul-frog switches, they are of the all-live type (same as Atlas). All reversing loops need polarity flipping devices. If you employ Electro-frog Pecos, they are the power-routing type and you will need special gaping at 2 track side of their frog..
It does look like you have a reverse loop in the track by looping around the turntable and connecting back into itself.
But to me the entire reversing section begins, not at the 3 switches [red gaps] in the yard outside the TT and roundhouse, but at the 2 vertical switches on our right, below the 3 track stub yard.. IE. The entire trackage running outside the roundhouse and its 3 red slashes is within one giant reverse loop beginning at either of those 2 switches.. Running on the main, rounding the 2 large end loops is simply a bent circle ( as long as train continues past the water tank each time around ). You can still travel into the big yard as well. But to exit back onto the main you'll have to reverse the polarity (train can be in motion during) at either of the 2 switches.
In other word, It does look to me you need only 1 gap at each vertical switch below the stump yard and will only need to flip polarity before hitting them when entering and / or exiting the large yard area through the throat. But once in the yard [except for the turntable] you're free to run anywhere (again, your red gaps not needed )...M

PS. I did allot of editing of this post today after trying to decipher my own otherwise clumsy paragraph..I think it reads smoother now..

Last edited by a moderator:

Back