DCC Decoder dead?

Zombie13

So, I got a Digitrax DH165A0 for Christmas and a soldered it to my loco following the guide and a youtube video. I insulated the motor from the chassis, removed the light and put an LED in, and connected the decoder to both positive and negative rails. Problem is I can't get the DCC software (DCC++ with JMRI) to control the loco. I am also just setting up the DCC++ stuff, so I don't know if the decoder is faulty or the arduino/DCC++.

Just now I was able to detect the decoder and program it (tried before with varying degrees of response) and the LED flashes during programming, but the throttle doesn't move. I know power is on the track because of another dummy loco that lights up. The loco with the decoder works fine in DC mode, but I can't get anything working at all with JMRI/DCC++.

So my question: What are the chances the decoder is dead?

Z.

If it works in DC mode then it's not totally dead. I would guess there is a CV you need to set to turn off DC mode and enable DCC mode.

The other thing to try is to reset the decoder and start over. I've had to do this a couple of times after installing my decoders. Sometimes they just get a little wonky. Do it on the programming track.

Don't forget that by default, and after a reset, the engine address will be set to 3. And also don't forget that if you change the engine address to some other number then you have to tell your throttle to use the new address. Don't ask me how long I stood there wondering why my engine at address 141 wasn't moving when my throttle was set to address 3 still. :)

Set CV8 to 08. That will put it back to the way it was manufactured. You will need to use 03 for the loco address until you change the address to another number, whether 2 digit or 4 digit.

Ok, set CV8 to 08 and redetected it. It came in at ID 3 and I changed it to something else. Updated the throttle and still no joy. The light won't even turn on. I'm correct in that I should be able to do that stuff from the programming track, right (currently only have one connection)?

I know its taking program because I turned off DC operations and now it doesn't work on DC mode, so thats positive, right?

Z.

When you change a CV does the loco jump a little bit? What kind of DCC system are you using?
I think it's decoder brand thing, Bob, and annoyingly they all do the CV "take" acknowledgment differently. Haven't had any Digitrax, so I don't know what they do.

Ok, set CV8 to 08 and redetected it. It came in at ID 3 and I changed it to something else. Updated the throttle and still no joy. The light won't even turn on. I'm correct in that I should be able to do that stuff from the programming track, right (currently only have one connection)?
Z.

Pretty sure you can't run the locomotive on the programming track. Move the wires to the main track output and see if that works.

I know its taking program because I turned off DC operations and now it doesn't work on DC mode, so thats positive, right?

Z.
No, the programming track is supplied with current at low voltage. Apart from getting the CV change signal (whatever the decoder uses) you have to use track power to test it. Some decoders do require track voltage to program them, or a booster on the programming track.

A Digitrax decoder being programmed with a Digitrax system will jump a little bit when it takes the command. If it's a Digitrax system you will need to put it on the main track. You can also program on the main, but this uses full power and you run a little higher risk of smoking the decoder if something is wrong.

Use the programming track to make changes, then switch the wiring to the main outputs, as suggested.

No, the programming track is supplied with current at low voltage. Apart from getting the CV change signal (whatever the decoder uses) you have to use track power to test it. Some decoders do require track voltage to program them, or a booster on the programming track.

Usually, only sound decoders require that, but you never know.

A Digitrax decoder being programmed with a Digitrax system will jump a little bit when it takes the command. If it's a Digitrax system you will need to put it on the main track. You can also program on the main, but this uses full power and you run a little higher risk of smoking the decoder if something is wrong.

Use the programming track to make changes, then switch the wiring to the main outputs, as suggested.

Usually, only sound decoders require that, but you never know.
The NCE silent ones advised that or with the booster. They also indicated the CV's programming with a jump. So did the Tsunami sound. The 2 QSI Quantum sound I have, talk to you, tell you what CV it is and the value. THE BLI IIRC give a blow of the horn or whistle. Can't remember what the ESU's do.

Back