DCC Controller For Single Loco

Brakeman Hal

Hello,

I've used an MRC Tech 3 9500 DC Controller (shown) for about 45 years, but now, since model locomotives have so many sounds to select from, I'd like to get a Controller that would let me select other sounds besides Whistle and Bell.

I've always run a single train on my layouts (G Scale, Ho, and O Scale 2 Rail), and will continue to run a single train.

So what Controller do you recommend for my needs?

Brakeman Hal
s-l640.jpg

Last edited:
I use the NCE Pro-Cab. It comes as a basic starter set, but is very expandable to make it wireless, and add boosters. Its a 2amp system out of the box, but you can add 5amp boosters to if needed. I can run at least 3 DCC sound HO locos with it (haven't tried 4). I don't know how much an O Scale DCC sound loco draws. They also have the NCE Power-Cab which I believe is a 10amp system, but that would be much more controller than you need to run a single train, and would be pricey.

ESu Cab Control, 7 amp power supply and wireless out of the box, and easy too use. Lots of pictures on the hand held, to tell you what each is for.

I'd like to get a Controller that would let me select other sounds besides Whistle and Bell.

I've always run a single train on my layouts (G Scale, Ho, and O Scale 2 Rail), and will continue to run a single train.

So what Controller do you recommend for my needs?
We need to know the max current draw of the larger scale locomotives. The max current draw is usually a spike right as power is supplied but before the loco actually moves. Any system will have to be able to handle this start up spike. Some of the starter systems like the "NCE power cab" specifically say not to use on O or G.

I use an MRC-2000 (far right) for my G-gauge trains, but it does not have all the functions that you are wanting for sound.
Christmas2013Controls-small.jpg

Last edited:
What controller would be compatible to an O-Scale 2-Rail loco with DCC and Proto-3 sound?

I run only 1 train on my layout, which is a 127-foot continuous-loop folded dogbone.

Brakeman Hal
012.JPG

What controller would be compatible to an O-Scale 2-Rail loco with DCC and Proto-3 sound?
Knowing the background of this question, I would normally say that would be a good thing to pose to MTH. However, since they sell their own controllers, of course they are going to say to buy one of theirs. That may or may not be a bad thing. For certain their unit would make all of their sounds work right.

I meant to answer this before, If you intend to go exclusively to MTH locos, then their proprietary DCS system is the one to get all of the benefits or functions built into their locos decoders. To be very well noted however is that the DCS is not compatible with DCC as a control system and won't run DCC equipped locos etc. Many (maybe all of MTH's locos now) can be controlled by DCC because of having that availability built into the engine's decoder, so in fact they are a triple function decoder, DC, DCS, DCC. Only by using the DCS control system are all the functions usable. "O" gauge/scale is populated by a number of proprietary systems, Lionel being another. DCC doesn't seem to be much used, but I'll ask for clarrification on that.

Mr. Toot:

I talked to the sales person at MTH today, and she said that the MTH 50-1033 DCS Remote Commander would be compatible with the Protosound 3.0 DCC system in the MTH Pacific loco I'll probably order.

I wouldn't be using all 29 of the sound effects; probably only 6 or so. (Whistle, Bell, Chuff, Air Pump, Steam Letoff, Coupler Slack).

I'll use my old MRC DC Power Supply to power the main unit, and the hand-held remote for the loco control and sound selections.

The System costs only $50-$60 from Amazon and other sources.

Thanks...
Hogger Hal

Last edited:
Hang on, what's the main unit you're talking about? You can't mix DCS and DC power sources on the same track if that's what you mean.

The "main unit" is the one that has an input from the power supply and an output to the track.

Google MTH 50-1033 DCS Remote Commander and view the picture of the Main Unit and the Remote.

(I tried importing the picture to the Forum but it didn't work)

Hogger Hal

Back