DCC Bachmann 5 amp booster question

I'm just finishing a new layout that has about 170 ft of flex track and Atlas DCC friendly turnouts. I have not (yet) set up separately powered sections of track with separate power supplies. I will have 9 DCC locos (running two at the same time at most), 10 LED lighted passenger cars, and 2 sound cattle cars, and a bunch of non-power cars. I have run a bus line with 14 ga wire, with 30 locations for 16 ga feeder wires (60 connections total), all rail connections soldered. The bus is connected to a Bachmann 5 amp booster with the EZ Command unit (yeah, pretty basic). No extra lighted/powered features will be connected to the bus/booster.

If I have all locos and powered cars on the track at the same time, is the 5 amp booster going to provide enough power, or will the red LED light up to indicate an overload? The locos I have won't light up and make noise or (obviously) move unless I activate them with the EZ Command unit, but they will still draw current just sitting there on the track. Is one booster enough or should I divide the track power in half and connect it to another booster? Should I set up each spur track where the spare locos sit to be separately powered? If so I'm not sure how that process differs from the old DC set up I used to have.

Thanks for any help on a semi-basic question, but I'm not that savy on electrical stuff.

I would divide your layout into 2 power districts, in such a way that leaves them for the moment as 1 district i.e. connected, and power the lot for the moment from that single 5 amp booster. My club's layout is in 2 power districts, each supplied with a 5 amp booster. I was running a long train with 4 locos (all sound) consisted in it and there was also another train in the same district, also with a sound equipped loco. We had no problems and the track length is a lot more than 170'. If you get the overload red light, you will soon know what you have to do.

As far as the storage spurs are concerned, you can if you wish, have isolating switches, but they could be installed if and when you suspect they will be needed, just supply them with feeders for the moment.

I will have 9 DCC locos (running two at the same time at most), 10 LED lighted passenger cars, and 2 sound cattle cars,

If I have all locos and powered cars on the track at the same time, is the 5 amp booster going to provide enough power, or will the red LED light up to indicate an overload?
I don't know what the red light on your DCC control unit means. Doesn't it say in the manual?

Instead of guessing how much power is needed you can just put each unit that consumes power on the track and measure it's power draw. Add them all up and you will have the answer.

My guess is that 5 amps is just about right for what you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Five amps should be all the power you need for your layout. I use a Digitrax system (five amps of power) and wired a Ramp Meter (a regular electrical tester will not provide an accurate measurement of amps and volts) in line with the track power to monitor track voltage and amps. It really does not matter if our systems are different, its the locomotives and rolling stock with lighting, that will draw power.

Running two DCC locomotives and having the others sitting idle will not draw more than .50 amps, less if not sound. On my layout, running on the level, two sound DCC locomotives pulling 6 car trains, draw .34 amps at 13. 4 volts. The amps will increase going up a grade. Some locomotive draw more power than others, like gas mileage for vehicles.

The only question I have is how much power will the lighted passenger cars use? But, I still wouldn't worry.

My layout is in a 12 X 11 room and has lots of track and it has only one power district and I haven't had any problems.

Start out with one power district and run some trains and see what happens. You can also divide the layout into two power districts later.

Run your trains and have some fun!!!

My layout currently has about 110' of HO track. I am running the MRC Prodigy Express system, which pumps out a whopping 1.3 Amps! I do have plans to break it into power districts in the future as I expand AND add in a power booster (not necessarily in that order), but for now I regularly run five locomotives at once on the system - Three of them consisted, only one with sound. I do not have any power issues with this set up. And my layout is all about climbing grades. I would say you should have no problems running what you have on the power you've got.

With that being said, one of my locos is an old Rivarossi Steamer. I recently remotored it. Prior to remotoring the engine it did not like running at the same time as my one loco with sound. The sound loco would give really weird sounds and notch up for no reason, even when sitting still. Sometimes it would just stop running. An older motor will typically consume more power than a modern one. This is just something to keep in mind.

Thanks all for the responses. To answer a few questions...

- The red light on the Bachmann booster indicates a short or an overload, and I have to make an educated guess at which it is.
- I have ten lighted cars (the Con-Cor BCS) with LEDs, which supposedly don't draw much power.

So I just finished up and decided to experiment with one power district for the entire layout. I expected, as some of you have said, that the one booster would be enough. I methodically placed my various power consuming units on the layout and my four sound diesels functioned all at once, but once I placed any of my five sound steamers on I got a red light (assuming overload). Taking the diesels off, I could place two steamers and all their ten lighted passenger cars on and they functioned just fine, but another steamer brought the red light. Basically any two steamers worked at the same time, but my 5th steamer placed all by itself on the track would bring the red light after running a few inches (assuming a short).

I placed that 5th steamer on another section of track and got the same result. I placed other steamers on the same sections of track and they worked fine. So it seems that my limits are 4 diesels at once, and two steamers at once (with lighted cars), with one steamer that has a personal problem that I have yet to diagnose. I clip all the fake hoses below the couplers so nothing is touching the track that shouldn't be, and that might be about my limit to figuring out what the problem is. It has run fine in the past but been boxed up for a while as I rebuilt my layout table.

So I just finished up and decided to experiment with one power district for the entire layout. I expected, as some of you have said, that the one booster would be enough. I methodically placed my various power consuming units on the layout and my four sound diesels functioned all at once, but once I placed any of my five sound steamers on I got a red light (assuming overload). Taking the diesels off, I could place two steamers and all their ten lighted passenger cars on and they functioned just fine, but another steamer brought the red light. Basically any two steamers worked at the same time, but my 5th steamer placed all by itself on the track would bring the red light after running a few inches (assuming a short). ... So it seems that my limits are 4 diesels at once, and two steamers at once (with lighted cars).
Bummer, so it seems that either the steam locomotives are pulling more juice than the diesels which I would have never guessed, or the passenger cars are sucking as much as a two locos - which is also surprising. From these results it sounds like you need another whole 5 amp booster. That boils down to just under 1 amp per loco or 5 pass cars which seems really high to me.

There's a problem somewhere....? Five amps should be enough power to run your locos. Maybe the power supply isn't producing the five amps as expected?

Are all the locomotives sound and is the sound on?

I have many locomotives just sitting on the layout, some with sound operating and others maybe lights and still run two locomotives and never draw more than and one amp.

Have you email Bachmann and asked them the question?

Thanks.

Greg

There may well be a problem but I'm not sure where or why. I've checked all wiring and connections. I've run one loco at a time around the track with no problems. The booster lights indicate power from the outlet, and the LEDs and fan function. The red light indicates as soon as I turn the booster on with more than four diesels or more than two steamers, so it's almost like the booster isn't providing any more power to the track (or very little), even though it's functioning.

I guess I should ask stupid questions like - is 14 ga bus wire connected to 16 ga stranded feeders with suitcase connectors not satisfactory? Is wrapping the ends of the bus wires with electrical tape acceptable? I'm questioning everything even though I thought it was simple, because everything I've asked and read told me one booster would easily be enough.

is 14 ga bus wire connected to 16 ga stranded feeders with suitcase connectors not satisfactory? Is wrapping the ends of the bus wires with electrical tape acceptable?
yes, and yes. Where are you located? If your in Denver I can bring my RRAMPmeter by and just measure it.

Iron Horseman:

Good idea...with the Ramp Meter. I think the power supply or booster maybe the problem.

Greg

That's a great offer Iron, but I'm in NC. I just got home from work and experimented again. I disconnected the booster and connected the EZ control module directly to the track. I was able to place 8 locos on the track all at once, start them a few inches and let them sit with the sound on, ran a few back and forth a few feet, and I couldn't see one problem - no weak lighting, no sluggish movements, sound wasn't off...nothing. The only problem was from the last steamer that causes a short for some reason. It shorted out again after running two inches.

So how does the booster indicate an overload and prevent more than 2-4 locos from running, while the command module alone runs everything just fine?? I guess I have to contact MB Klein or Bachmann about a replacement, or maybe not even bother with a booster at all??

I'm not familiar with your EZ DCC controller, but we suspect now that the booster is the problem. If everything runs fine without the booster great.

Is the EZ DCC controller rated at 5 amps? If so, that's enough power for your needs and you don't have to think about power districts or boosters.

Glad you're on the right path.

Greg

The EZ command module only provides 1 amp. It's enough to run two locos at a time, and I'm not sure yet about the extra power draw from other locos or lighted cars sitting on the track. It didn't seem to be a problem during my test last night, but maybe it's not the best in the long run. I'm thinking real hard about the 3 amp Digitrax Zephyr extra, as I've read good things about it for a modest layout like mine (including your comments Greg). Speaking of which, I can power lighted buildings or lighted/sound crossings from that Zephyr unit, right? Or I can use an old DC controller as another throttle, so it seems to be a good option for the few additions I might need.

Irish:

I have several friends that have a Digitrax Zephyr system and use it to run medium size layouts. The system is expendable to be able to add additional throttles.

It's best not to power anything but the DCC track from a Zephyr or any other DCC Command system. Use an old power pack or buy a couple of "wall wart" power supplies for lighting, turnouts sound.

I would recommend that you run separate buss wiring for the accessory power. Select a different color wire from your track buss. I ran separate buss's for DCC track power, Tortoise switch machines, signal power and lighting (controlled and under 12 volts for lamp life). Maybe over kill but it works.

Thanks.

Greg

I just so happen to have two old DC power packs that work great and would handle any extra lighting or crossings, so I guess I'd be in good shape. I'm pretty sure Bachmann will fix/replace the booster, but I'm not sure what I'll ultimately do with it for now. $250 for a question mark...ugh.

I can power lighted buildings or lighted/sound crossings from that Zephyr unit, right? Or I can use an old DC controller as another throttle, so it seems to be a good option for the few additions I might need.
You could use power from the Zephyr but why would you want to? DCC power is very expensive and in short supply as compared to power from an old DC controller.

You could use power from the Zephyr but why would you want to? DCC power is very expensive and in short supply as compared to power from an old DC controller.

Because when it comes to electricity, I'm not the brightest bulb. :D I know how to do basic house wiring and keep myself alive (sometimes), but I'm still learning all the details of DC vs DCC. I have to wait to speak with Bachmann today about the booster, and I suppose I'll have to pay shipping to have them look at it, and then hope for a different outcome when I get it back. Not much other choice though, or it's a $250 paperweight.

Because when it comes to electricity, I'm not the brightest bulb. I know how to do basic house wiring and keep myself alive (sometimes), but I'm still learning all the details of DC vs DCC.
:) :) :) It was a rhetorical question. I guess I should have just said, "but you don't want to because .... .

On the wiring for my house remodeling, I finished the electrical work last November. I was really bummed because I like working with conduits, and now I have to play with things like dry wall instead.

So trying to troubleshoot with Bachmann service dept and it's not going too well. I have to call EVERY DAY and hope that they call me back between 2-4pm. If they don't call me, I have to call back the next day and hope for a call back again. So far I have not been called since my 1st call on Thursday morning. This sounds like the type of process that's meant to grind down a customer until the 90 day warranty is up, and then they can tell me to pound salt. I have three weeks until the warranty is up (because I didn't hook it up until 7 weeks after purchase). I see how this is going already, and I may as well buy the Digitrax unit now.

Back