DCC and perhaps sound in an MP15DC HO Switcher.

northman

The pride of my loco fleet my Atlas Silver Series BN HO MP15DC switcher. I have never ran it on DC and only taken it out of the box for display only, as I do not yet have a layout, but I'm getting impatient. I thought it was time to consider a installing my first DCC decoder into it, and I understand an NCE D14SR will do the job nicely. I also understand that this is a "plug and play" decoder.

Now.... I am seriously considering a Sound decoder and I have done a little research on this area but it is a new feature for me and I have had no experience with sound, although I did hear a HO loco several months ago and it did sound absolutely amazingly realistic.

The brands I am looking at are Soundtraxx (Tsunami) and QSI. My questions are:

1. Are the sounds pre-loaded? I'd prefer minimal external programming.

2. I assume all the standard DCC CV's/functions still operate in the same manner as a non-sound decoder?

3, I would also like to hear from any owners of a HO MP15DC who has a sound decoder fitted, what type of decoder do you use, and your opinions on how it sounds.

It will be a big leap to go down the sound path so I wish to do my homework thoroughly, because I have another three locos I wish to fit sound if this is successful.

Yours in MRR,
Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pair of MP15AC switch engines with sound (factory MRC) and like them. The sound is very good. If I had a choice between QSI and Soundtraxx, I would go with Soundtraxx. The motor control seems a bit better with the QSI, but not by much, and several of the peripheral sounds are better (horn, bell), but the Soundtraxx sound of the prime mover is much closer to what you would hear if you stood next to a loco. The QSI prime mover sound is more of a generic "whirring" sound.

It's not easy installing a sound decoder in the Athearn RTRs and Atlas.. You need to know what you're doing. I tried it and ended up frying a decoder.

Be careful, and good luck with that.

I have Mark G. on this forum install all my sound decoders for me, he does great work for a reasonable price. His username id: MGWSY

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed a Digitrax DH164 Decoder in my Athearn RTR SW1500 (very similar to MP15). I had to cut down the speaker enclosure to the exact size of the speaker due to the limitations of space in the hood. Fairly straightforward install.

I have a couple of Soundtraxx tsunmanis and 3 QSIs (2 factory installed and 1 custom I did on an RTR P42).

I really like the tsumamis. I would consider them the 'Cadillacs' of sound decoders. That being said, I am very happy with all my decoders. Fairly uniform quality and speed control. I felt the QSI Universal I installed a bit cumbersome vs the tsunamis drop in style board (i didnt go with the TSU style) as they are bulkier and cost $25 more).

In regards to the operation of the headlights on the MP15DC, how do they operate on the 1:1 model? I have heard that on some switchers, when travelling forward, the forward headlight is at full brightness, but the headlight at the "B end" is at 1/2 brightness. The opposite occurs when the direction is reversed. Is this true for the MP15DC?

If this is the case (and even if it's not, and I want to create this effect) how would I recreate this feature with the CV programming?

Regards,
Steve.
That is "rule 17" lighting. It is usually controlled by CV49 and CV50.

I'd go with Soundtraxx. Soundtraxx has the best prime mover sounds and it has a user-selectable horn. You can pick the horn that matches the prototype with a CV. With QSI, you need to buy their computer interface to change any of the sounds.

I would suggest getting JMRI Decoder Pro to program the decoder. It's real easy to use.

I adjusted the dimmers by using a slide bar at how much you want to dim them.

Do you have LEDs or bulbs? LEDs dont dim as much as a bulb will.

Tsunami vs QSI ,,, they have their good and bad points.

Tsunami has more sound control functions and does not need to be reprogrammed to access them like the QSI does

the QSI has a neat function to better simulate grades and working of a heavy train. the decoder will slow the train and engine revs notch up as the motor works harder to pull the train. QSI steam decoders and I assume Diesels decoders has what I call "Cruise control" you press a button to actavate this feature and the loco will maintain its speed. then you can move the throttle up and down and the engine sound will get louder or softer simmulating a working or coasting locomotive.

Back