DC Question

Patrick

Alien Attitude.
From those of you still running DC, how did you place your control setup?

I'm considering a drawer type setup where I can get it out of the way when I need to. It may also be that my original setup (now with the grandson's table) was just too wide. Any ideas someone else may have would be helpful.

when I had DC on my layout, I used drawer slides on a piece of eight inch wide wood , the drawer moved in and out as needed

Purchase flexible wire for the connections from drawer to layout, possibly a long terminal strip on each end. By flexible, I mean the silicon insulated multi strand wire.

And for what it's worth, I made mine to swing down out of the way, and have never actually swung it down except to see if wires twisted off during installation.

My "control setup" consists of a handheld tethered throttle. My nod to the present day is it hangs in a cell phone cradle when not in use.

I also use a tethered handheld memory throttle. Much easier and I have five locations around the layout where I can plug it in for local switching action or running. Basically I keep all track power on unless I am parking engines on a section. I hang it on cup hooks - old school!

Willie and JazzDad: Do you have a link or make\model of what you're using? DCC is just not in the cards for a while.

What Willie was referring to is the GML hand held throttle I use with memory. Il also have another hand held which is on the lower left of the picture, but it is in a fixed location that I have enough cord on to reach most parts of the layout. The GML throttle has a big fat stereo plug on the end that makes it very easy to move around the layout to jacks located around the layout. I also have an amp/volt meter in line with it as seen on the right.

thumbnail_20190810_130020.jpg

Chet, the throttle hanging on the fascia, looks virtually identical (minus the brake feature) to the ones the club electrician has made up for DC operation of the club's layout. Probably pattered off them.

Similar to the GML throttle are the products made by Ken Stapleton of Canada. Check out his website. On my Gorre Northern I am using his 3amp tethered throttle with memory. Just unplug and go to the next socket like the other product. I'm using the 16 volt AC terminal on an MRC Tech II to power it. It can use 12 to 24 volts Ac or DC and can even run off a car battery. Great for that grid down railroading experience. This doesn't really address your question but these options present an alternative to a power pack on a drawer slide. Boyd

Back