Cutting off BEMF on LokSound Select

bigB

Hey guys,

I have a Intermountain ES44AH ho with LokSound Direct oem installed board. It started to not consist nicely with other engines. I have ruled out track wiring issues. I'm thinking that the BEMF function of the decoder may interfering with its smooth operation in consist mode.

I've tried searching on the Internet, but does anyone know how to deactivate BEMF on a LokSound? I know you have to change BIT 1 to 0 on CV49 but don't know how to proceed. I'm an experienced dcc guy.

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I found the answer. Looks like setting CV49 to a value of 18 should turn it off. 19 is default.

Instead of just turning it off completely, you can also turn it "down" so it doesn't have as much effect. CV56 controls the regulation influence. The default is 255 or 100%. Try turning it down to half and see how much that improves the performance.

Mark.

Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that when I get back home tomorrow. I tried changing cv52-55 to fine tune a rough running motor but it didn't have much positive effect.

Brad

For a rough running motor, I always give the engine an "auto tune" ....

From the Manual:
5.2.4.3. Automatic Adjustment

LokSound Select decoders have an Automatic Motor Tuning Feature. This feature will automatically adjust the Back-EMF in most cases. This is not meant to be a “cure all” solution. This will only get the settings close. There still may need to be some manual adjustments made.

In order to use this automatic adjustment you will first need to set CV 54 to a value of 0. Then put your locomotive on the layout and activate F1. Be sure to have plenty of clear space ahead of your locomotive. Your locomotive will quickly take off at full speed and gradually slow down to a stop while reading the motor responses. This will automatically set the load compensation in CVs 52, CV 53, CV 54, and CV 55. From here you can make any other manual adjustments if needed.

Mark.

I reduced the BEMF setting (cv56) to a value of 128 (half of default max 255). Seems to run better now in the consist. I had a few dirty patches of track too.

Back