custom norfolk southern dash 9-40cw

Nsmodeler

hey guys, I am modeling norfolk southern dsah 9-40cw as prototypical as possible. I will be using a athearn blue box dash 9-40cw unpowered kit for this project. The only down fall is that the light postion on the front of the locomotive is incorrect. They are in the nose by the door, i will be putting them up top next tothe numberboards. I am going to power this by putting the shellon a AC4400 Atheran RTR chassis i have lying around, I am using this because all will have to do is replace the trucks with the correct ones. I am going to paint the shell flat black,but does anyone know what the color is on the under frame. To me it sorta looks like a grime black or a flat black with a grayish tint. I have some question and the parts list to see what you think? If I am missing parts or have any incorrect parts please correct me. I will post pics as i progress, as of right know i have the engine only. Any questions please ask
Deatils West
Dash 9 air conditioner
Bronze etched walkways for dash 9 and ac440
Sinclair atenna short
Air horn nathan K5LA23
rear view mirror&deflector
Etched knuckle basket NS
Front door for GE dash 8/9
Piping and brackets right ste
Norfolk Southern cab headlight set w/ numberboards
Axle bearing caps
Deatailed air tank kit for dash 9 and AC4400
MU hoses three cluster
Snow plow NS,CSX
"firecracker" antenna
Ditch lights GE style x2
Train air hose
Dash 9 detail kit for CSX,NS

Smokey valley
Brass stanchions for dash 9

A-Line
Brass etched steps for dash 9

Decals
shellscale- Norfolk Southern GE dash 8-40cw and GE dash 9-40cw with soaring logo(horsehead) set#167

Paint
floquil or scalecoat? I will decide on what company when i know exactly what colors I am using.

I,ve done several locomotives, in Norfolk Southern colours, I finished a Dash 8 just last week. I spray my locos with gloss black first, then apply the decals, then spray with either matt or satin varnish to take the glossy sheen off, plus to seal in the decals.
All 5 of the locos here, started off as undecorated shells.

Ron

yea, they look good. I like that flat and faded look, i will be using floquil for the shell and i don't know about the trucks or underframe yet. I thinking maybe like a grim black or a black with a grayish tint. Like the coloratheran uses on the walkways of their NS Geneis engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to use floquil acrylics to paints this loco. I am going to use grimy black on the trucks, under frame, fuel tanks. For the shell i am undecided yet, I don't know if I should use engine black or steam power black or just tamiya flat black. I am using floquil clear flat finish as the clear coat.Can you please tell me what color would look the best, or if I should use any different colors. Sorry i have been really busy pictures will come as soon as I can get a chance to get back to the work bench.

For the best results with the decals on the shell, I suggest using a gloss black finish. Use Tamiya black as a base coat, then a coat of gloss varnish, put on all the decals, then a final coat of floquil flat clear.
Ron

I am looking to do a similar project myself (sometime) and was interested to know about the change around of the trucks mentioned. What are you replacing them with and how do you know which is wrong and which is right?

Thanks,

I am looking to do a similar project myself (sometime) and was interested to know about the change around of the trucks mentioned. What are you replacing them with and how do you know which is wrong and which is right?

Thanks,

I am using an athearn RTR AC4400 chassis, which has the self steering trucks (which athearn puts on all their new AC4400 an Dash 9s even though its incorrect, it's a matter of being very cheap and their quality is starting to lack) I am using a old blue box dummy kit, so I just removed the trucks from that and placed then onto the powered chassis. If you don't have the correct trucks you can get the correct rail power products one from www.ppwaline.com.

Back