Custom Layout Design??

wvg_ca

semi flaccid member
I'm new here...obviously from the post count...:)

anyways, Is there 'custom layout design' available...?

Basically I did my first layout last winter, pretty well done, or as far as it may get anyways...
I basically just went ahead and started laying track all over the place until it was totally twisted..:), and then practiced ballasting, basic scenery, modifications that I hadn't read about before, but figured I would give a try to do anyways.. turned out to be about 7x7 feet, very small basement, and after all, it was the first one...
I'm happy with small radius, compact overall design, but would like to do another this winter, some type of L shape maybe 12x12 foot, around three times the current layout..

Is that type of service available [ no build, just layout design], and any idea of costs??

thanks

How would you reach the center or the layout to build, retreive derailed cars and repair? I my opinoin it is so complex it wouldn't be fun to build or operate. That would be an incredibly difficult second layout if even possible i would suggest something more along these lines. It still has lots of operations just much easier to build and maintain. Sorry if i come across harsh.As far as cost say an atlas switch is 15 and a tortise is 15 and you have around 30 switches atleast 900 for switches and totises alone. I think the general rule of thumb is 100 dollars a square foot.
4hob4b.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.raildreams.com/

I've met Richard, he used to run a small hobby shop in his building, shopped there MANY times. Great guy, and an AMAZING modeler. Prices are up there though, in the range of 3x the value if you build it yourself with premium products.

The layout [as shown in the RTS generated bmp image is already 'mostly' done..and is 'mostly' reachable...images attached..
I was thinking along the lines of the plan you had shown there, to fit my 're-allocated' 12 x 12 foot space...in the corner of the L I was not thinking of running track in the very corner, my normal 'reach' , comfortably is around 42", especially if I lose my belly so I don't 'scuff' the near edge..:)
Most of the rolling stock and power I have is shorter, as dictated by my first [and only, so far] layout, and I would prefer to reuse that..
I _think_ I would enjoy more variety in levels, as opposed to my current two level & mostly flat version..as well as giving opportunity for more scenic 'expression'...
Right now I have two continuous usable running loops, along with the middle 2/3 loop track, a too 'busy and cluttered' central switching area, and the upper turntable / staging area with the 'post support' reversing sections..
right now it's tight on the outside loops, and one or two of the loco's occasionally 'rub' on the front / rear step extensions, but it runs..;)
I turned the [atlas] switches upside down, and mounted them under the turnouts, cleaned that up a bit, a lot cheaper than tortoise or similar..
I was doing some thinking about using RC servo's to move the points, they're cheap, and a toggle [or dcc] actuated driver is pretty easy, still working out how to easily adjust transition speed, so it would take, say one to five seconds to flip over..along with overtravel protection, and some type of 'hold in tension' device..
..winter layout #2 will 'hopefully' be cleaner, and more 'convenient' to run, probably all I can salvage from the old one would be some of the buildings, and trees, but those are relatively cheap anyways...
and this time I know I will go with all nickel, as opposed to whatever happens to be in the pile, I like building, and operating, not too fussy about scrubbing brass track...
So far I'm into this hobby for a year now, and it's definitely an enjoyable learning experience..

thanks

Well, it's your layout, so you can do anythng you like, but you're creeating the classic "bowl of spaghetti" type layout, with as much conplex trackwork crammed into the space available as possible. You have almost no room for scenery and it will cost you and arma and leg just for the switches and crossovers. My preference is for less track and more scenery, kind of like the trackplan Mike posted. If you like what you have better go for it. There are many custom layout design companies. Look in the back of Model Railoader magazine and you'll find a bunch of them. They'll do anything from a trackplan to a a complete layout. I'd just urge you to reconsider what you want on your next layout and to think about why you need all that track.

but you're creeating the classic "bowl of spaghetti"

it's already created...:)..I used RTS after to make a template for the turnout control panel, a good name for it would be T&C [Twisted & Convoluted]

>> it will cost you and arma and leg just for the switches and crossovers.

cost wasn't actually too bad, wound up trading some cross country ski equipment for a couple of boxes from a friend that decided to go N scale..

>> My preference is for less track and more scenery, kind of like the trackplan Mike posted.

the trackplan Mike posted is very much what I was thinking about for this winter, I subscribed to Model Railroader a couple of days ago, and looked at their track plan database last night..

>> I'd just urge you to reconsider what you want on your next layout and to think about why you need all that track.

that's why I'm asking questions here..:)
the T&C plan I first posted is the one done last winter, a good learning experience !!, especially on what NOT to do...:)

Can a train run on those two elevated tracks it looks like they are just supported by dowels? Like the first time there was weight on them they would flex and train falls off, and train breaks.

Can a train run on those two elevated tracks it looks like they are just supported by dowels? Like the first time there was weight on them they would flex and train falls off, and train breaks.

The cheap and nasty elevated tracks are 'doubled', there are another set of corroded flex track underneath for support, all are joint soldered, and they are permanently attached together with gorilla glue...

Original intention was to make small triangular bracing under each post, and then run a strip of maybe 1/8" by 1/16 strip just at the tie edges to look like a poured concrete type of support...
only one portion [in center nearest panel], has a small [maybe 1/32"] droop when the loco goes over, no flex to speak of with two 'layers' bonded together..

I do like the overall 'look' of the track plan that you had in your message, and the size is a good fit into what I have for available space..
In the back of my mind something similar would work, perhaps by bringing out the middle of the left side to give some switching / storage track near the front, but inside the main, and maybe bring out the corner and I can reuse the turntable from the old layout, as long as it stays under 42" for me, still reachable..

Curious, what was the program used to make that plan??

thanks!

Back