Custom C&EI 2 bay covered hopper

TrucTrain55

This is two old tyco 3 bay hoppers cut down and spliced back together to make a 2 bay hopper. I got one side decaled think I’m going to stop here tonight

89D70335-5304-4DA7-B33A-29A8B7364064.jpeg
B16BC632-0CBD-4C06-95CA-4E1A927B84E5.jpeg
0530D601-A801-4587-9452-530332B15051.jpeg
1E8C7EFE-0F09-47ED-B82E-AD16422F58DA.jpeg

Last edited:
You did a great job splicing those cars, I can't see a single seam line in the car. That's hard to do and even harder on an light color car.

Having worked on the MP, I saw lots of those style cars.

Typically, those cars hauled cement and roofing chips. The Tyco cars are based on cars that carry plastic pellets. Cement cars have the sliding gates rather than the vacuum tubes on the hopper bottoms.

Thanks for the compliment. Thanks for the info I used to live right by the Mopac rail line that came out of Ste Genevieve Mo. I seen many of these but didn’t know the difference. How would I change this just by removing the hoses? And what Mopac place you worked out of? thanks

One of the guys I know around me is modeling St Gen & the Mike & Ike.

I was all over the MP, mostly around Houston, Van Buren and N Little Rock, AR, but traveled all over (El, Paso, Brownsville, Ft Worth, Kansas, etc.) A couple regional/district and system level jobs. Actually didn't get over much of the M&I, just the DeSoto Sub and around Poplar Bluff.

Not very clear picture of a MP car, due to the shadow. Note the bottoms of the hoppers don't have a "tube" and are flat. They have a flat gate with am "angle" on each side that is the slide for the hopper gate. They will also have a smaller tube that has a coupling on the end so crank the gate open. Its basically a rod with a gear on it that uses a rack and pinon to crank the hopper gate open and closed.
mp705874_weepingwatr_032501.jpg

Better pic of a model, similar type car, right type gates:
39_trinity_3281_2-bay_covered_hopper_ready-to-run_910-7505_big.jpg

The big tube in the center screams plastic pellets or powdered chemicals that are vacuumed out of the car.

this isn't about the car sorry but did you ever go to a Centralia or Nashville Illinois?

One of the guys I know around me is modeling St Gen & the Mike & Ike.

I was all over the MP, mostly around Houston, Van Buren and N Little Rock, AR, but traveled all over (El, Paso, Brownsville, Ft Worth, Kansas, etc.) A couple regional/district and system level jobs. Actually didn't get over much of the M&I, just the DeSoto Sub and around Poplar Bluff.

Not very clear picture of a MP car, due to the shadow. Note the bottoms of the hoppers don't have a "tube" and are flat. They have a flat gate with am "angle" on each side that is the slide for the hopper gate. They will also have a smaller tube that has a coupling on the end so crank the gate open. Its basically a rod with a gear on it that uses a rack and pinon to crank the hopper gate open and closed.
mp705874_weepingwatr_032501.jpg

Better pic of a model, similar type car, right type gates:
39_trinity_3281_2-bay_covered_hopper_ready-to-run_910-7505_big.jpg

The big tube in the center screams plastic pellets or powdered chemicals that are vacuumed out of the car.

Back