Crossing upgrades

Nice series of photos. Saw the same thing going on locally at a crossing. They sure get it done in a hurry, not like state employees.

We had no choice. The County gave us a road closure from 7:00 PM Friday until 6:00 AM Monday Morning. Worked 8 hours on Friday getting ready and then the initial shutdown, and then two 12 hour days. The ties were pre-plated and we welded the rails prior to starting, so the track went together pretty quickly. It's only about 150 feet of track total, so that helped. But it was definitely crunch time.

BTW, this was all posted directly from my phone as a test of that functionality. It worked great, and the photos were easy to upload. Most of that stuff was posted as it was happening, or nearly so.

BOB ... What kind of material is that which is used to protect the flangeways?
Looks like some sort of rubberized stuff?

Yep it is. Fancy extruded rubber product specifically designed for railroad crossings. Sized to fit the specific rail section you're using (136RE in this case) and attached to rail with clips. We've done one installation of it before, a couple of years ago. We were able to install it all in 1-1/2 hours, from start to finish, so I was pretty impressed with that, and the end product looks great. Now we see how well it holds up under heavy traffic.

http://www.poly-corp.com/transportation/railseal.asp?trail=t;tf;rs-nl

Have to laugh at that video, the announcer sure did a good job of sounding enthusiastic as hell about a couple of rubber strips. He probably sells snow cones to Eskimos on the weekends. :) Has a bit of a "vintage feel" to it as well.

That said, it does seem like a good product.

Interesting video and cool pics Bob!
It reminded me that I still have some of those big highway crossing rubber pucks (mats) from back in the day.
Man those things are heavy with the steel plates in the center!

Back