Createx Acrylic Airbrush Paint

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Has anyone used Createx Acrylic Paints? They have a perfect Burgundy color for me BUT am a bit concerned about the their recommendations for PSI (40 - 50) and the need to use a .5 tip.

Hi,

Not one of the brands I use. Sounds like they might be rather thick right out of the bottle - at least for airbrush paint.

Frederick

Of all the acrylics, Createx is my favorite. I run it at 40-45 psi with a 0.3 tip. I use a custom blended thinner (MRH HP Thinner) to reduce the paint 15-20%.

Frederick,

Yeah, the fact they recommend 40 to 50 PSI and a large tip gave me cause to wonder if it would be suitable for my needs. I get the impression they are more an automotive and artistic paint.

To be honest though, I don't mind if the paint seems too thick out of the bottle, for any brand, I like to thin it down a little anyway. I even add a few drops of thinner to Model Master Acrylics and they say that can be sprayed straight from the bottle.

Of all the acrylics, Createx is my favorite. I run it at 40-45 psi with a 0.3 tip. I use a custom blended thinner (MRH HP Thinner) to reduce the paint 15-20%.

Thanks and I should be okay with my .35 tip then, that was one of my concerns when I read their recommendations. Can you recommend a place to buy it from? I have seen it at TCPGlobal, where I bought my new HP-CS airbrush. I am assuming my brush will handle that paint?

First, your Iwata will be fine. As to where? That's a tough one. It could have been Amazon, Blick, or Hobby Lobby, or someplace entirely different. It was over a month ago and I don't keep specific track of that kind of purchase.

Createx is one of the Acrylics I use and like very much; however, I use it for brushing and not spraying.

That recommended high air-pressure is what most pro t-shirt painters tend to use so I’m guessing the Createx paint is geared to them. I’m sure there is a way to adjust the paint and pressure to ratios we Model guys are more prone to use.

Hi,

Given the various brands of acrylic paints that appear to be ready to use at the lower pressures and finer nozzles that modelers tend to use what is the appeal of Createx?

I've used other brands and they seem to be fine.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Frederick

Mark,

That's not a problem. Almost all paints that can be brushed can be airbrushed. The corollary however isn't true, its next to impossible to brush some airbrush formulated paints.

Frederick,

It's all about color choices.

Thanks everyone, now all I have to do is find the colors needed. Seems as though the ones I was hoping for are either transparent (Burgandy) or pearl (Gold) and I was wanting plan old ordinary opaque. Yeah I know, being hard to please.

Thanks everyone, now all I have to do is find the colors needed. Seems as though the ones I was hoping for are either transparent (Burgandy) or pearl (Gold) and I was wanting plan old ordinary opaque. Yeah I know, being hard to please.

What brands have you looked at?

I wanted a metallic copper paint and found a brand that offered a number of different opaque metallic colors.

Frederick

Frederick,

So far the usual ones, Model Master, Tamiya, Badger, Vallejo. My interest in Createx was because they do have both colors BUT they are transparent colors. I may have to look at the general "hobby paints" OR change my colors to ones that are more common such as Blue and White.

Frederick,

So far the usual ones, Model Master, Tamiya, Badger, Vallejo. My interest in Createx was because they do have both colors BUT they are transparent colors. I may have to look at the general "hobby paints" OR change my colors to ones that are more common such as Blue and White.

You could always mix you own color. Just do it methodically so you repeat the mix if it turns out to be just right.

Frederick

For the Burgundy that is what I think I will do - trial and error but should get something that comes close. As for the gold, well - I may have to settle on whatever I can get or go with white instead.

For the Burgundy that is what I think I will do - trial and error but should get something that comes close. As for the gold, well - I may have to settle on whatever I can get or go with white instead.

Purple is Red + Blue. Burgundy would be more towards the Red, right?

So start with a known quantity of Red and add small known amounts of Blue until you get the color you want.

I've mixed colors before and if you trust your eye it's easy.

Are you looking for a metallic gold or just a flat, opaque "gold".

Frederick

Frederick,

I was wondering what colors could be mixed for burgandy. As it is a dark reddish/purple color I was thinking about starting with a darkish red and adding a drop of black to it. As you said or intimated, it is a trial and error thing and determining the end color is how my eye see's it.

The gold I was hoping for was an opaque non metallic flat gold. The golds I have seen look a little too yellow to me but that could just be my eyes as well. As for trying to mix colors to create Gold, well that is a challenge as I have no idea what colors, other than yellow probably, to use.

If worse comes to worse, I could probably find the colors in rattle cans but really don't want to go that route.

Back