Craftsman Coach Kits - help!

davidpen

Long Haired David
I am building a small 10' x 8' HO short line railroad, circa 1945 - inspired by 'Mixed Train Daily' by Lucius Beebe. In a fit of enthusiasm, or stupidity, I bought 2 La Belle and 1 NorthEastern coach/combine kits.

Having opened them, I can see that I am going to need some advice. I am experienced modeller and am capable of scratch building structures and regularly make scale plastic model aircraft, armour and cars. Also, I used to own a woodworking shop so I am not bad with my hands.

However, it looks like some advice from those with experience could make sure that I don't make any stupid mistakes.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

David
Check out my modelling blog at http://www.gsmblog.co.uk
and my railroad blog at http://www.gmrblog.co.uk

The LaBelle kits are challenging and not for beginners. You don't sound like one though, so my advice would be:

Go slow! Be patient.

If you're the "Christopher Columbus didn't need directions and neither do I" type, it will be a bad experience. Read over the instructions several times before starting. Test fit parts before gluing. Remember these are old kits, 60's technology. You can get a nice model out of one though. Good Luck!

Assume that all parts are not the correct size and test fit everything before you glue. Have a good metal straight edge and lots of sharp #11 blades, because you're going to be doing a lot of cutting. The directions are actually pretty good so, if it seems like something isn't going in the right way, stop and go back to the directions. The part is probably upside down or backwards. Make constant reference to the picture on the box or directions, since everything you put on should match that picture. I did an entire of train of LaBelle passenger cars for the 1904 World's Fair Special many years ago and they were a trial, although beautiful models when they were done. As has been said, go slow, be patient, don't throw things, and assume it will take you about a month per car. :)

Pretty much what I thought. I am not sure that I can justify 3 months on three coaches, though.

Thanks for the help and advice.

David

Back