Covered Bridge for ceiling track (Pic heavy)

I have an older 97 Softail Classic with ahh let me think, 40k on her there abouts.

a1fLL0W.jpg

Thank you and the paint color is State Pearl Blue and is the original color, not the original paintwork though as you might have guessed by the missing Harley Davidson decal on the tank. The engine is pretty much stock but have changed almost everything else to custom parts. This or next year I am getting it rebuilt to Stage Three so I can actually sit 65 - 70 on a highway without getting shaken to pieces :)

Nice bike and car, but I'm even more impressed with your garden railway in the background. Nice looking track you've got there!

Bob,

Oh that, it's nothing really - just something I threw together over the weekend :)

Here is where I show my lack of knowledge - that is an N/S line formerly Conrail. All I can tell you is it runs from Buffalo, through where I am and down south through Corning (NY). Where it ends up, I have no idea. One of these days I'll follow it on Google Maps.

Finally finished one side. There was a huge learning curve with this. Had a little hiccup near the top that I didn't catch until it was dry. This side will be facing the wall so making the mistakes on this one is no big deal. The room side is next and hopefully the lessons learned will produce a better product.

Finished side 1.jpg

Finished side 2.jpg

Finished side 3.jpg

Thank you. Biggest mistake was not making sure the stagger the strips. On the left you can see where 3 rows where all the same lengths so when it dried and shrank, it made a vertical gap. Easy enough to fill with little pieces but a rookie mistake. Just little things I learned not to do on the "show" side.

Olie,

Consider what you've built or more the point the era that it would have been realistically built in ... I'm sure they were not "perfect" either; therefore, mistake or not - perhaps it makes your roof even more realistic.

Just trying to be positive here :)

Olie,

Consider what you've built or more the point the era that it would have been realistically built in ... I'm sure they were not "perfect" either; therefore, mistake or not - perhaps it makes your roof even more realistic.

Just trying to be positive here :)

I appreciate it. I don't mind a lot of it but I knew better on some of the mistakes. When I do the other side I won't repeat them. All in all it looks pretty good and I like it. I will do this type of roofing again for sure.

We all strive (or should strive) to improve on what we have done, that's a good thing. We are equally our own worse (or best, as the case maybe) critics. That too is a good thing.

Okay now the philosophical stuff (BS) is out of the way ... looking forward to seeing the other half when built and the bridge in place. It'll be a nice addition to the layout and (possibly) a focal point to boot.

Well, it's finally done! Man this was a beast. A lot of learning with this one. I can't believe how much things would shrink when they dried! Anyway, waiting for glue to set to it can go up on the track. Won't be attempting something like this again any time soon, that's for sure!

Finished 1.jpg

Attachments

• Finished 2.jpg
    Finished 2.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Finished 3.jpg
    Finished 3.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Finished 4.jpg
    Finished 4.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 210
Bob,

Here is where I show my lack of knowledge - that is an N/S line formerly Conrail. All I can tell you is it runs from Buffalo, through where I am and down south through Corning (NY). Where it ends up, I have no idea. One of these days I'll follow it on Google Maps.

In that case, I may have ridden over it many years ago. I was crew on the American Freedom Train in 1976, and we came through Corning on the way to Binghamton if I recall correctly. We got there through the now gone line through the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania" and left via the north.

In that case, I may have ridden over it many years ago. I was crew on the American Freedom Train in 1976, and we came through Corning on the way to Binghamton if I recall correctly. We got there through the now gone line through the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania" and left via the north.
Bob,

Over the years I have hit my head. Sometimes very hard. My memory isn't what it used to be. I forget conversations quite often. I found that forums, much like this one, allow me the ability to review things I have read and/or posted. With all of this in mind, I can honestly say, I have no idea what this post is about. My guess is, you were quoting Tony in a different thread and it followed him here?

Either way, had me a little nervous there. Thought I was really losing it once and for all. LOL

Back