coupler spring

pabiker

Im just getting back into model railroading so pardon me if i as a foolish question ive noticed a change in couple design with the new smaller prototype couplers will standard size couplers hookup to the newer smaller types and is there a special tool for putting the small coil type spring back into the coupler at 70 years old its hard to see let alone work with these tiny parts lol

Mike sent you in the right direction, look at the "spring grabber" lower down on the page. I personally use fine pointed tweezers but I still lose about 10%.

pabiker - there are a few things to keep in mind when dealing with the coupler springs.
1) They have a mind of their own. They are like a woman. If they don't want to work with you, they just won't
2) Never try to install these springs over a carpeted floor. The shag is their habitat
3) If you should ever get a spring installed, let us know and we will celebrate with you.
4) They are accustomed to foul language, so don't be bashful
5) The inventor of them was an alien from another planet with intent to destroy the human race
6) If you do have springs that are still on the coupler, put a touch of CA glue on each end to keep them in place

I use a small jeweler's screwdriver and stick it in the middle of the spring, put one end on and compress the spring* then slip it on the other peg.

* insert following text as needed : "and watch it launch out into the middle of the room, then start over."

Back