Coupler pocket for Custom Rail 89' cars

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Huh, odd I never saw this before. Walthers has a product designed to replace the coupler pocket on Athearn 85'/86' Flats & Boxes. Oddly enough, it works perfectly for my Custom Rail 89' auto racks.

For those unfamiliar with Custom Rail auto racks, they're notorious for having the floor too far from the rail. By leaving out the coupler arm that comes with the kit, and trimming the bolster down, the car is lowered, but then it lacks a coupler. I've been trying to figure out what I'll do for the box.

Today I raced down to La Mesa, to Reed's Hobbies, in order to buy a paint stripper for a Kato F40PH (more this weekend on that subject). I wandered the wheels section to see if any Branchline wheels were in stock, and saw a Walthers coupler box...

Walthers #933-997:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-997

I bought it on the spot. I just installed the box now, and its PERFECT! It does not quite swing the full width of the opening on the Custom Rail Cars, which is perfect. There MAY still be a minor possibility that my choice of Sergent couplers might pose a minor "short shank" issue. I won't know until Frank finishes the re-tooling.

Josh, I've never seen those before either. Is it meant for self centering couplers ro normal Kadee's? It's sure one heck of a big coupler box cover. I wonder how well it would work on AHM/Rivarossi 80' passenger cars to get a long swing, body mounted coupler?

I saw that last night! (I think in the Walthers monthly sale catalog) I couldn't quite figure out what it was for.

Thanks for posting pics and clearing up at least some of my confusion! :D

Rotor

I'm assuming its more for self centering couplers. Its an older product, that they still make. The large cover is there so that the whole coupler pock under it can swing also, creating a larger swing.

You'll never know if you don't try Jim!

Josh,
I have 2 of those cars w/the self centering coupler pockets. I had 1 problem w/the 1's I have. The wheels were to close to the sides of the wide part of the cover. When it was going around a moderate curve the car would derail.
What I found out was the wheels didn't have enough turning radius w/the wide pocket. So, I ground the edge of the cover so the wheels would clear & that fixed the problem. On the car in your photo the wheels are quite far away & U won't have the problem that I had. If anyone gets any of these cars & you have derailments this fixes the problem. I only paid $2.00 ea. for mine at a train meet & I'm sure the person that sold them to me was having the same problems. I have a center beam lumber car & a Gondola & both are 89'.
I saw them on their web site & they are quite expensive.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Larry. The 89' car's bolster is set on about a 70' center, so its well inset from the ends, which allows a plenty of space for the truck to swing.

Back