Conway Yard in PA

railBuilderDhd

I'm going to be in the New Castle area in a few weeks and I noticed the rather large classification yard, Conway Yard, and I wanted to know if anyone know anything about this place. I'm interested in maybe getting some photos of trains or even the Yard if possible. I wanted to know if there are any good access points that are public and how is the feeling of rail fans in that area.
Thanks,

I'm going to be in the New Castle area in a few weeks and I noticed the rather large classification yard, Conway Yard, and I wanted to know if anyone know anything about this place. I'm interested in maybe getting some photos of trains or even the Yard if possible. I wanted to know if there are any good access points that are public and how is the feeling of rail fans in that area.
Thanks,

I used to go in and out of there when I drove railroad crews for NS. The yard is very hard to get clear shots of from the highway because of overgrowth. I would not drive into the yard if I was you, the Norfolk Southern Police are very anti-railfan there since 911.

Conway Yard is very difficult to railfan. There simply are no decent places to watch yard activity or take photos. You can see it as you drive past on Route 65, but that's really about it. And that's really unfortunate as it's a busy yard with a hump for sorting cars, as well as an operating turntable.

To railfan trains rather than the yard, I would suggest going to a community park in Rochester, PA or Leetsdale in the other direction. Quite a bit of activity in either location.

Tom

As to the yard in new Castle, all I can tell you is that I haven't found a good place to watch or photograph the CSX Yard in New Castle from public property, so hopefully someone else with more knowledge of the area will chip in here. I go up to New Castle every couple of months to check out some sidings where you can sometimes find newly manufactured cars, or old ones apparently waiting to be repaired. Lots of interesting stuff from time to time.
Tom

I'm going to just keep off the PA yards on this trip. It looks like I can get some good photos in the youngstown OH area that would be business property and less likely an issue. I'll be posting photos if I get good ones.
Dave

Back