Converting older engines to DCC

NC&StL

I should know this but I want to be sure: If I can separate the power pickup from the motor, I can insert a DCC decoder. Yes - No?

Worst case: A Bachmann F7 $15 "train set" engine, the power pick up is on the front wheels, the motor is part of the rear wheels, they are connected with the traditional red and black wire, this is where I cut and splice in the decoder? Yes No?

(Why? you might ask) I have 18 F -T's, 3's and 7's and about 12 Geeps nicely decorated but not DCC friendly. I know a few of them cant be done because of the motor design, but I am hoping to convert a few of them.

Thanks
Bob

You mentioned having some Geeps as well as various other F units. Are any of these Athearns? If so, what you need to do is electricaly isolate the motor from the frame and you're good-2-go.

As for the Bachmann 'train set' F unit: Unless it's a really good runner [I've never had any myself so I don't know], I wouldn't spend too much time or money on that. Installing a decoder will not improve the performance of an already poor-running loco.

Best of luck...

Actually the ones I have had for all these years will "fly" and creep. I have detailed a lot of these for my four favorite roads, and I hope to be able to use them with DCC.

Older Bachman train set quality engines may have the "pancake" motor in them. It will probably not have a very long service life if you do it, not to mention the fact that te decoder will cost you more than the engine is worth. That said, the power pickups for the wheels, probably red & black wires are where you install the decoder.

Also, I've never seen a loco that can't be converted. Some are easier than others, that's all!

I know the majority of folks reading this thread may wonder why spend time and money on a cheap engine. I will probably buy a few DCC ready pieces, but the ones I want to convert have more than just a low dollar value attached. Long story for another time.
Thanks for all the input everyone.
Bob

I know the majority of folks reading this thread may wonder why spend time and money on a cheap engine. I will probably buy a few DCC ready pieces, but the ones I want to convert have more than just a low dollar value attached. Long story for another time.
Thanks for all the input everyone.
Bob

Just because the loco has a low dollar value compared to another doesn't make that loco any less valuable to its owner. I have a Bachmann 4-6-0 made from their USRA 0-6-0 and it has a pancake motor in it. I keep it because when my daughter was growing up it was her favorite loco, and she detailed it out real well. Do you really think that I would part with that one at any price??

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you should be able to isolate the motor. I can visualize the system, if I'm not mistaken, you just have to make sure the motor is isolated (some of them have a brass connector to the back truck for ground power. When I ran an old Bachmann on my old Tech 4, it sounded pretty quiet. Provided you stay away from the Bachmann decoders, you might actually be able to make a nice little unit out of the engines you are wanting to convert.

I have a couple Bachmann Plus engines that are some of the nicest I own. They required very little modification too.

Is there anyway you can take a picture of the engines in question?

Hi Adam,
I will try to take a picture over the weekend. It seems like I cant win, I have the Bachmann E Z Command System with 8 brand new Bachmann 44913 1 Amp decoders. I thought other than their limited functionality, that they were okay for forward, back and speed.

Go ahead and try one of the bachmann decoders. Typically when you try and convert an old DC loco you fry the decoders not the loco motor. You aren't going to hurt the engine.

If the front truck has all of the track pickup then it will be a real easy install.

Jerry

I have a couple Bachmann decoders, the only problem I have with them (beside the limited capability) is that they don't have the quiet pulse drive for the motor, making the motor sound kind of rough. When I first put one in one of my Walthers engines, I though I did something to the motor, as the engine used to run without a sound. I swapped decoders out for an NCE and the thing doesn't make a sound. If sound isn't a big issue, just use what you got. When I bought the Bachmann decoders for $20 a piece, I thought I was getting a good deal, but Digitrax makes a better decoder for around $15, and it offers the quiet drive.

Good Luck!

I've spent $20 each on decoders to convert older locos. Some of them can be a real challenge, especially in N-scale. I've converted an SW9 N-scale; one of the most satisfying conversions, but very tricky.

My point in writing is with cheap locos, you need to make sure you keep the track free of dirt and dust and use only plastic-compatible oil for lubrication. I bought my son a cheap Bachman six-axle UP and it ran great until the plastic parts inside wore out.

Chuck

Yesterday I took apart a represenative model of different brands. the AHM GP-18's for example are built like an Athern with the center motor and two drive shafts, so that should be easy to wire, and even easy to re motor if desired, the Bachmann F units have a power pick up opposite of the driven end, etc. So I guess as long as the motor is not grounded, it may work on a few of them.

If the Bachmann F units have personal value to you, and you want DCC, have you looked at Bachmann's DCC onboard engines? I don't know for sure how easy they would be to swap, but you may be able to pick up some of the F units with DCC pre-installed, and swap shells. List price on them is on the order of $50. They feature decoders, and all-wheel electrical pickup and all wheel drive.
A potential problem I can see with the old ones you have now is power pickup. I have had some of the Bachmann engines like you describe, and they seem to suffer from power pickup problems. With only 4 wheels picking up power, if the wheels momentarily lose electrical contact, the decoder will probably stop for a second, until it sees another digital signal. If that happened to me, it would be maddening.

Back