Converting Old Engine to Lionchief

Paul in Florida

I'm new to this Forum and to O scale. I've been HO all my life. Couple of years ago I built my wife a lighted Winter display for our mantle with her lighted Victorian Ceramic building with a cheap battery train diplayed statically in the background. Last year She wanted to do a table town to compete with her sisters. So I bought the Polar Express Lionchief set. And so it started, Added the Seaboard Frieghter line, Grandson loved it so much, every week he would go straight to it. So I kept the table up, putting away the winter stuff. Added the Woodland Scenics buildings and I found an older Lionel Amtrak F3ABA and wanted to covert to a Lionchief. Bought a NYE FT but its 3/4" shorter and the bogie spacing is different. So I have to swapp the Truck/motors and electronics to the old chassis/body. Talked to the local train stores, but they haven't heard of anyone doing it. Just wondering if anyone on here has to get info on any unseen pitfalls. I'm a Aircraft Mechanic/Avionics so I'm up to the challenge.

Success! I had to cut up Loin chief's Chassis for templates, one for Fwd Bogie as the older didn't have a Motor, the other for the circuit board. Swapped all the LED's and Speaker. All works as advertized. I kinda wished I took Pictures. Now I will convert my Spirit of '76 U36B to a Lion chief. Looks like the GP38 Chassis is Identical

Last edited:
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. Good deal on your endeavors, it's all about the fun and personal satisfaction!

Kinda' like you , I was into N-scale for a long time. But about a decade or so ago, I started taking an interest in O-gauge trains, to the point where now my N-scale stuff is sitting around gathering dust, 'cuz I'm too busy playing with my O-gauge stuff! 😜

I also like messing around with Lionel and the other O-gauge brands, doing things that most folks wouldn't think of, or even attempt to do. Like winding my own coupler springs to replace broken ones on Lionel knuckle couplers. And making my own knuckle pins to replace the rivets that may get damaged when removing them to replace the broken springs.

That, and lots of other stuff far too numerous to mention in one thread. Like I say, it's all about the fun and personal satisfaction, and helping others when and where I can. :)👍

Back