Construction of the Philly & Scranton

Some new photos, not very sexy, but shows what I'm doing.

As I indicated earlier on, I've done a lot of CAD planning of this layout, which has led to me 'mocking up,' what I had on CAD, 'full scale,' to determine whether I'm satisfied or not, with what I've planned. As such, I've been focused on the trackplan, and not as much with the actual final layout construction, at least up until now.

For a good portion of the layout, I've used IKEA IVAR shelving units, to provide the substructure of the layout. This has given me plenty of organized storage beneath the layout for 'stuff,' both related to the railroad, and for 'general household storage.' Is it expensive? Yes and no, in some ways-I consider it a matter of convenience to some degree, as well as being practical in terms of the 'where do we put that,' factor, with the Mrs.

As for the layout, the sections built on top of the IVAR shelving are 48" above the floor. Some places, such as Hazelton, and Laurel Run will be higher, Philly will generally be lower, as will the staging yards.

Supplemental: I don't know why the photos have decided to rotate themselves, as they were oriented properly, in the images I uploaded-sorry about that. Carl

The first photo is of the 'West Leesport section of the layout, to the right. The surface still needs the longitudinal 1x4s along the front and back edges, to prevent warping, similar to an airplane fuselauge. The IVAR uprights, have 3 horizontal members, near the top, middle, and near the floor. the shelving can be placed at roughly 1" intervals, to hold whatever you want. The shelf below the layout level, will be 'hidden staging,' in this area. the 22" wide shelves will hold 8 or 9 HO tracks, roughly I figure.

The next photo is of the West Reading area, as I call it. Here you can see the layout structure, as well as the supporting IVAR upright units. Initially, I was placing the 1x4's at the edges of the 1/2" plywood, however I have since made newer sections with the 1x4s on the outside of the IVAR shelving. As you can see, there is some overhang, which I place at the front of the layout normally, in most cases. In this case, I may have some overhand in the rear, as on the other side of West Reading is the Reading yard/shop area, and there is a several inch gap between the IVAR units. I've used 1x6" lumber to bridge this void, which just about abuts the other Reading yard sections.

The last photo is of a Walther's kit, that I will use at the corner of the Reading yard, to conceal some layout controls (blocks and remote switches).

Attachments

• wrdgstruct16.JPG
    wrdgstruct16.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 457
  • wl.JPG
    wl.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 439
  • rdgfactwr16.JPG
    rdgfactwr16.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 445
Quite impressive. After all of the time spent planning, it must be nice to finally have tracks going down. Had to download the track plan to give it a good once over.

Chet,

Thanks! Yeah, its taken much longer than I wanted to get to this point, but the bottom line was, going into this, when I decided based on previous layouts, and experiences, that when I finally get things to the point of being able to run trains, I didn't want to spend all my time, ripping up, and relaying track, because I came up with something better. I'd been collecting equipment, and structures with building this concept, since about 1981 or 1982, but didn't have 'the ultimate basement,' for my 'ultimate layout.' I'm one of those guys that tends toward the 'job worth doing, is worth doing right,' end of the spectrum.

In spite of my preference towards 'doing things right,' I don't have infinite amounts of time, or money, at this point, to sink into every aspect of this effort; and I have made compromises, such as planning to avoid a lot of 85' equipment, as even with the space I have, there's only so much room, for what I have in mind, what I'm capable of designing and building, and I can live with that. Most of my curves on the mainline are between 26-30" radius, with a few spots, where trains will be going at low speed, with only certain locomotives, the radius gets as tight as 22-24" for short sections. I know many people today will only operate with fully accurate equipment, on 30" or better curves, but 28-30" is as generous as I've gone in the past, which by my yardstick of sectional track, is pretty large.

Before I can really start fastening the track to the sub-roadbed, I still have to ensure that the sections of the layouts are immobile, so there won't be kinking and things like that, if I or anybody else, brushes, or hits the layout, accidentally, which might cause the rails to kink at 'section joints.' Since again, one of my goals for this layout is not to constantly relaying track, due to dissatisfaction, in my mind, I've got to address securing the layout sections to each other, prior to the final track laying.

Although I'd like to have at least one track in service from Philly or Reading to Tamaqua(which form potential reverse loops, for initial operations), by the end of 2016, its probably going to take longer than that to accomplish, but maybe in time for the 2017 Superbowl, when we usually have some friends over. I've been promising a number of them that 'I'll have some trains running soon,' for the last 2-3 years, which has only been possible due to having some old Lionel O gauge stuff to run around the Christmas Tree, or on some hollow core doors, the last 2 years. My HO trains, haven't run, since about 2006, or 2007, when I was single, and had a 18x24' layout in the basement storage unit of my condo. And, that's a long time, to be in the hobby, and not really be able to run 'your good stuff.'

While I've been a member here, Chet, I've enjoyed your Logan Valley layout, as I've always found the MILW(particularly the electrified portions), GN, & NP interesting roads, with great equipment and operations, thru a very scenic part of the country. I lake the way your added a new town to your layout, over the last couple of years, since I also feel like a frustrated town planner or architect, and your latest city I think has the real feel of a 'big little town,' that you find in many places, once you get beyond the coasts. Reminds me of Casper, WY in some ways, which is only 'a few miles upstream' from Scottsbulff, NE, where my Dad grew up. Although he spent a good bit of his life 'back East,' his heart lived elsewhere.

I hope to post more soon, and fix the tilted photos.

Carl

Latest update:

Drove the first spike (track nail, actually), and dropped the first wires tonight, in the Reading yards!! Since my last posts I've been working on the 'sub roadbed/sub-structure,' so that when I finally drove the spikes, (or track nails) into the roadbed, track, switches, scenery, etc,' would stay aligned, again, so I wouldn't be constantly redoing what I had all ready done/completed. Slow and stead has been my progress to date, but I hope that will pick up some now, being that I've got to the point of figuring out how I'm going to ensure I won't have to constantly redoing shoddy construction, originally.

Sorry, no pictures for now, but when there's more to see, or I get things running, and take some video, I'll be sure to post something.

Hope everybody else had a good weekend!

Here's a quick mock up of a catenary standard for the Reading Freight Yard area. The uprights might not be that tall, but this was just a quick and dirty test.

Attachments

• cattrusrdgyard.png.jpg
    cattrusrdgyard.png.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 290
Site of what is to be the City of Reading downtown. Franklin St. Station(stand in) is in the foreground. Plan to put parking garage across the tracks.

Attachments

• cityofrdg.JPG
    cityofrdg.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 262
it looks like your town is starting to come together nicely. I enjoy modeling city scenes, but unfortunately, there are only small towns on my layout. Still try to make them look interesting. You have a lot of potential there. Waiting for updates.

mannyvdct317.JPG rdgfyds317.JPG
Left photo is the P&S's Schuylkill River Viaduct on the passenger route upstate, with the freight lines on the lower level. The freight lines will eventually curve underneath the left arch, on their route to Reading.

The right photo is of some traffic in the Reading Freight Yards, adjacent to Outer Station. The reefer train with the NYS&W F45 is about 13 cars, and the coal train on the adjacent track is also about 14 cars, but of varying lengths. As the P&S will be depicted prior to 2000, the cars are of shorter lengths, as are the locomotives. In the distance is a Reading Shop building. To the right of the view block is West Leesport, and along the far wall is Port Clinton. Catenary is yet to be installed in any locations.

The two photos below include a photo looking south from West Leesport, towards Reading, which used to be farm land in the 60's 70's, and 80's. The other photo is of what I call the Little Schuylkill Loop, between Schuylkill Haven and Tamaqua. Its a one turn helix, with the lower level representing somewhere between SH and Pottsville, and the upper level arriving in Tamaqua, or Greenwood, for the P&S.

Attachments

• wlspt317a.jpg
    wlspt317a.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 249
  • lstamloop417.JPG
    lstamloop417.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 237
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some other photos from over the weekend-enjoy! In some sort of order:

A view of the Greenwood station(Tamaqua), from above the freight yard. The trestle above the station never existed in Tamqua, hence I renamed it Greenwood. The upper line is heading from Hazleton, to Laurel Run and Wilkes-Barre.

I call this next location 'McAdoo.' The lower track is part of the 'Pottsville Loop' to Greenwood. The upper track is the mainline north of Greenwood, on the way to Hazleton. Plans are to put Stuckey's as well as a HoJo restaurant here, as well as maybe a few houses. Behind them, is the coal mine, with the rapid loader.

For those familiar with Route 81 near Hazleton heading towards Wilkes-Barre & Scranton, you can't help but miss the Coyningham Valley. While I have never actually identified the route north from Hazleton to the actual Greenwood Industrial Park, and Gulf Summit, or Mountain Top, I've considered several possibilities. Among them are reutilizing an upgraded Wilkes-Barre & Hazleton traction line, tying into existing mainlines near Penn Haven Jct, or Whitehaven, or a 3rd, 'new' route north towards Wilkes-Barre, that ties into the old CNJ backtrack somewhere south of Laurel Run. As Hazleton is on a mesa like mountain, to head north on anything other than the LV, would probably involve a large bridge of some sort, which this duck under bridge represents.

The other photo in this group is of Wilkes-Barre, Laurel Run, and 'the back track.' Laurel Run is located along the left edge of the photo, with the small station. The backtrack will proceed away from the viewer on the dimensional lumber. It will then proceed around a 180 degree curve(Ashley), and into Wilkes-Barre. At Franklin Jct., the freight line will separate onto the old CNJ right of way, with the passenger main proceeding towards the old PRR/LV station location on a viaduct, with a 'new' Amtrak station. Wilkes-Barre on the P&S may be thought of as similar to Albany/Rennselar, in that passenger trains have cars added and dropped here, with a 70'sesque Amtrak station replacing an older more distinguished structure.

Attachments

• greewdtam417.JPG
    greewdtam417.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 242
  • mcadoo417.jpg
    mcadoo417.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 227
  • coynbrdg417.JPG
    coynbrdg417.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 253
  • lrwb417.JPG
    lrwb417.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 239
Got some more things done on the layout this week:

Here's the first-primer coat on what will be an early Reading green CC-!(similar to a GP-7, RS3, or AS16, as originally painted and lettered). Check back later this weekend, as I want add another 2-3 photos, at least.

Looking north towards the West Leesport station area, and downtown, a Reading CC-1 returning light to Reading, all by itself, under the wires. Catenary structures are Kato, catenary is by Viessmann. Hope to add more scenery soon, + a backdrop of some sort.

Left photo is along the mainline in the industrial section of West Reading(yes, I know it should actually be the Belt Line. Had to use some modeling license to get the trackplan to reflect reality in other locations). E60CF visible in the distance, beyond the crossover.

Attachments

• cc1rdgreenpreletrng.JPG
    cc1rdgreenpreletrng.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 223
  • wlprtlookingnb417.JPG
    wlprtlookingnb417.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 229
  • wrdg417.JPG
    wrdg417.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 334
Mid Summer update:

As the wife has been sick since Memorial Day, I haven't really spent much time working on the railroad, however I did start wiring in the Reading Freight yard area, with a goal of getting something running on the mainline to Tamaqua by year's end. I also have run some wires toward Franklin Street, which could connect with the 9th Street Branch section. Last weekend, got some more of the Kato catenary standards, with plans to place some of them in the Franklin St. area. Hope to post some more photos or even a video of something from the yard, soon.

I got one mainline track running from about Franklin St. thru the Reading Yards, to about Belt Line/Blandon Low Grade Junction. this weekend. I wanted to post it, but right now, the unedited file is over 20MB, which is to big to email to myself for editing, for starters.

Here's a photo of a mock up of what will be the Franklin Street Parking Deck, adjacent to the Franklin St. Station. I've considered building the Vollmer parking deck, as well as doing something with the Bachmann false front parking deck, but after tonight have sort of decided that maybe I'll make my own, instead, out of some cardboard from shirts, or the backs of writing pads.

9/6/2017 Update: I"ve added a thread about this parking garage project in the Buildings and Structures section of these forums, which has some additional discussions about the modeling choices, or 'given and druthers,' for my current P&S layout, should you have the interest.

Attachments

• 0903172347a~2.jpg
    0903172347a~2.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 258
As has been said, this is coming along nicely and looking good to boot. I really am impressed with your Viaduct as well. I think this is testament to careful planning and fore thought. It's a credit to your patience.

Thanks Tony!

I started considering 'what if/some day' plans way back in 1981, about 4 years after I rode the line from Philly to Pottsville. So I've had a lot of time to consider my options, preferences, and 'what ifs'. Since we bought the house in February of 2011, its been a long haul, with many false starts, but tonight, when I came upstairs, I was starting to feel like I'd made some good decisions, which will pay dividends, when things get to running. Hopefully, with the cooler weather, and the wife being better, I'll have more time to spend, getting things done, with visible results.

Cheers,
Carl

Darn, this all started way back in 1981?????? I think my giving you credit for patience was vastly "understated"! Now that you are settled (and I assume you are) then things will progress and you'll reap the benefits of your thinking about the what's and if's. Looks as though you have way to go BUT, when it is (cough) finished - you'll definitely have something to be proud of.

Darn, this all started way back in 1981?????? I think my giving you credit for patience was vastly "understated"! Now that you are settled (and I assume you are) then things will progress and you'll reap the benefits of your thinking about the what's and if's. Looks as though you have way to go BUT, when it is (cough) finished - you'll definitely have something to be proud of.

Tony,

Patient, cray, or hardcore, I'd say. :eek: Settled? I lived with my parents until I was in my early 30's, back in the 90's. Since then I've moved 5 times, or every couple of years. With retirement possible in the next decade and NJ's high taxes, 'who knows.' :confused:

Back in '81, I was really looking to model the line past Pottsville, over the Frackville Grade, up Darkwater Canyon, via St. Clair, and on towards Mt. Carmel, with the Darkwater Canyon and Frackville Grade electrified, using a European jackshaft electric locomotive, similar to the ones the Virginian had. The time period I planned to model was something from the 50's-70's, with an HST going over the route with service to Buffalo.

As time passed, and I made more trips into PA, I changed things into a Philly to Scranton corridor, as it seemed to make more sense in some ways, and more models of potential equipment became available. Influences included the arrival of the TGV in 1981, and Walther's producing a PRR E60CF, according to a late 80's catalogue of theirs, which I still have. Also, with the NYS&W, a favorite local road of mine, being directed to operate the D&H about 1988, many things came together which made me switch to a Scranton routing, not a Frackville Grade routing, and earlier period, the route/concept/theme to build. In the 80's a lot more Reading models became available, such as Stewart making RS-3s, and AS-16, which I own several early versions, was also an incentive.

I plan on using some of these Stewart models, inspite of them being scrapped by the mid 70's in real life, as I figure with having to by a bunch of electric locos for the line, the Reading might have used some of these earlier diesels, longer. Generally, I figure if the railroads were required to purchase, even with grants/subsidies of some sort, a bunch of new electric equipment, they would have kept their older diesels, longer.

These days, in terms of thinking ahead, I'm mulling over another 'what if' involving the New Haven having outright purchased the NYO&W, instead of spending money to buy up Connecticut trolley lines and build the folly of 'The NY Westchester & Boston.' Would they have improved the O&W physical plant/route? Would they have given up the O&W route, in favor of some sort of 'joint operations' over the parallel Erie Delaware Divison, as far as the O&W's Scranton Division? Would the EL & NH merged? And finally, whatever they did, would the NH have reached Scranton, one way or another, with an electrified mainline? If so, that opens up a whole bunch of additional modeling possibilities, besides a NYS&W/L&NE/NYO&W merger in the late 50's or 60's that I've refered to as the HUDSUSLO lines, over the years, but that's a whole other can of worms. FWIW, I have a NJ E60CF and an E60CP shell, in NH, at this point.

Every day now, brings my dream, closer to reality(as a model rr), which has been, and is very satisfying, but there's still much more to do, and I doubt, I'll ever truly be finished, even if I have to move, and rebuild somewhere else. Of course, when I 'kick the bucket,' I'll be done, but again, I'm trying to make things modular to some extent, so that if somebody is interested in picking things up where I left off, they can relocate it as desired, and 'have at it.' At that point, it won't be finished, until PA, or the USA makes such an actual line a reality, but that won't happen in my lifetime, unless there's a shift in transportation priorities within PA and the USA, along with a way to pay for such an endeavor.

Few photos of some of my Philly areas.

Right photo gives a long view of the Southside Yard in Philly (like Eastside and RG Tower), where all non coal trains originate or terminate. The N5C caboose is at the south/west end of the yard, adjacent to the bridge over the river. The mixed merchandise has a CNJ Trainmaster at the head end, and 16 cars outbound headed north. On an adjacent track is a loaded coal train of about 15 cars, for transfer to the dumpers at Greenville Yard in south Philly. In the distance can be seen the 9th Street Branch and viaduct which terminates at Reading Terminal. South/west staging is below.

The middle photo shows where the Carbonville Coal Yard will be located. On the left side of the photo are some tracks in the adjacent Southside Yard. The elevated right of way on the right side of the photo, is the 9th St. Branch, which leads to Reading Terminal.

The left most photo shows the approximate area where Loop Jct. will be located, which will allow for quick turning of freight traffic, or a route for freight movements off of the 9th St. Branch, into the Southside Yard. A green hopper car can be seen where Carbonville Coal Yard will be located. Line from Loop Jct. will skirt Carbonville Yard and tie into Southside Yard, at the South end.

Southside yard is being tacked down, prior to wiring.

Attachments

• rgsouthsidephil917.jpg
    rgsouthsidephil917.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 298
  • carbonvilleyd917.jpg
    carbonvilleyd917.jpg
    600.3 KB · Views: 213
  • loopjctphily917.jpg
    loopjctphily917.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 246
Thanks for the update. I have been silently watching the layout and hope that your wife is getting better. Was wondering why you haven't posted.

This is quite an undertaking but has just so many possibilities for operation. Could keep quite a few people busy.

Thanks for the update. I have been silently watching the layout and hope that your wife is getting better. Was wondering why you haven't posted.

This is quite an undertaking but has just so many possibilities for operation. Could keep quite a few people busy.

Chet,

My wife had her surgery in August, and is doing much better at this point, fortunately, thanks. While I've been home helping with her recovery, I've been able to take and hour here and there, to work on the layout, too. I am hoping to get something running from Philly to Reading(across an aisle from one another) in the next couple of weeks, although I still have some subroadbed to add in one section, before too long. After that, my goal is to get things running from Reading to Tamaqua. Scenery is lagging, but its been a long slog so far to come this far, but I'm starting to think about scenery and talking it up with my wife, to get her involved. I've been lone wolf, so to speak, at this point, in terms of the layouts I've built, but have a few model railroading friends and an artist friend or two, who have expressed interest in getting involved.

I'm looking to ride the R&N from Reading or Port Clinton to Jim Thorpe later this Fall, to peak their interest in the route, on the R&N's RDCs.

Carl

New: Update for 1st Qtr 2018

Not much new to report since the last post. I'm thinking of changing the emphasis some, from a compressed literal model of several locations, to a somewhat more freelanced 'Delaware & Scranton, A Branch of the NEC. If I did this, my focus on a joint Reading/PRR type of operation would remain the same, however I'd change the names of a number of locale's, to reflect a more freelanced version of each location or scene. Philly, might become 'Delaware City.' I think I'd keep both Reading and Scranton, to give it a northeastern PA locale. Tamaqua might become Greenwood. Hazleton might become Summit. Port Clinton might become Port DeWitt or Port Guirard(sp). My plan for Wilkes Barre was to model it operationally for passenger trains, similar to Albany-Renselier, back in PC or early Amtrak days, with its 1970's station.

Since my last post, my wife has continued to improve healthwise, fortunately. Over the last couple of years, she's encouraged me to enlarge my collection of O scale and high rail equipment. I've been trying to accommodate both a 3 rail layout, and an HO scale layout in our rather large basement, as I find each scale has changed over time, and O now has some advantages that it didn't have previously, and while HO hasn't lost all its previous advantages, in terms of the prices of locos and equipment, both scales are comparable.

Stay tuned.

Back