Considering Returning To Ho

Brakeman Hal

Hello,

I'm considering dismantling my 127-foot O-Scale 2-Rail Folded Dogbone layout, and replacing the trackage with Peco Code 83 HO Flex Track.

You can see what I have in my HO stable by viewing the pictures in the For Sale section.

I'll be looking or a new Controller to be compatible with the Broadway Limited Paragon 3 Sound with DC and DCC, which I have in my 2 Steam locos.

I've found it frustrating to find so little to select from in O-Scale 2-Rail equipment, while there is plenty in HO! Also, the Mountain Heights and the Rail Distance in an HO layout will be 81% greater, when you compare 1/87 to 1/48!

Since I'll only be using 1 train on the HO layout, can you recommend a controller which will do the job and show off the sounds in my Steam Locos?

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
Hal
I’m think the same thing. I like the 3rail O scale stuff that looks more to scale than the traditional O scale. My problem is the same I just can’t find what I want in O scale I love TOFC stuff if I run O 50’ cars or longer I will have to build on to my garage. I still have my HO layout I almost sold it the whole works. I have triple of HO than O Stuff seems like I have to Custom build everything in O so I will probably go back to HO and deal with the not seeing and hard to handle the parts but HO will always have a special place in my heart.

One thing that shyed me away from O and N scale was the lack of "stuff" in those scales.There's so much available and the realism these day are amazing.
As far as controller systems NEC is pretty good and have heard good thing about them.

Hal, I can understand how you feel and I do 3-rail O, 2-rail O is even more limited.

I'm obsessed with Lionel and I could never set it aside. Why am I obsessed with Lionel? Long story and I don't want to hi-jack your thread.

HO, O, N or what ever, as long as you are happy with your trains is all that matters.

None of us are as we once were. I know I'm only a shadow of my former self, but everyday we wake up is a good day.

I'm glad you are still with us buddy.

There are several manufacturers of DCC equipment, and each makes several models. If a fairy were to grant you a wish, and you said, "Just get me a system I can use," she would grab one off the shelf and hand it to you. And you'd be happy inside of a week after some anxiety, reading of the manual, looking at youtube videos, and then getting around to having fun finally. That's the way it goes for every one of us.

Figure out what amperage you'll need based on the likely numbers of running and idling locomotives, and then get the best priced system you can find. From there, each of us has some learning, and then the world is right. There is no escape from this ordeal. No matter what we buy, we eventually persevere, get used to it, and then it's all second nature. That's the way it was with me and my Digitrax system. I have 5 full amps to play with. more than I can use. Almost all lone wolf operators don't need more than 3 amps tops. Early in DCC, back in the late 90's, drives and decoders weren't so efficient, so the rule of thumb was about 1 amp per loco, especially if using an older Blue Box drive or pancake, or whatever. Nowadays even a hard working steamer is at most going to use 0.6 amps with its sound at full volume. Everything is better, drives and decoders, even the speakers they install. Phone technology and wearable tech drove that research and development. (You can thank them later)

I would strongly advise you to look for youtube videos on how to use the following, and what they look like:

Lenz, Roco, NCE, Digitrax, EZ-DCC, CVP

https://dccwiki.com/Manufacturers_List

Once again, all systems work like a hot pistol. You just have to spend time getting to know what they can and can't do for you. You practice...often. Before you know it, your mind is on to other problems. It went that way for all of us here who use a system of one kind or another. They are reliable. They're not all fully capable. It is incumbent upon YOU to figure out which capabilities you MUST have, and then to do your homework, including shopping for the best prices.

Good luck.

After setting up a short test track yesterday to remind me of my earlier experiences with HO, I realize now that I'd be making a big mistake if I tore out my carefully laid 127 feet of O-Scale 2-Rail track and laid HO in its place!

After getting used to the superior bulk, mass, and sound of my O-Scale railroad, and then seeing and hearing my HO Steam and Diesel locos on the test track, this told me that I would be much happier staying with what I've got. My HO engines sounded like the wimpy yap of a Chihuahua compared to the hearty German Shepherd bark of my O-Scale train!

So I'm staying with O-Scale 2-Rail forever!

Thanks for following my Saga, everyone!

Brakeman Hal
002.JPG
012.JPG
002.JPG

Last edited:
Why can’t you do both? that’s what I do I have a humble HO layout and a O scale I just have too much investment in both to give them up

Do them both? You mean like this?

(See my post in layout Design and Construction, titled "Dual Gauge Railroad?")

Brakeman Hal
001.JPG

Back